Any Other Alternative to Handbrake ?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Khair

Any Other Alternative to Handbrake ?

Post by Khair »

Hey Guys,

So I have been using Handbrake pretty much if I wanna convert any Video file from one format to another. Though it is a Fantastic piece of Software, It takes ages to convert one simple file of 3GB from MKV to MP4 ? It takes close to around 5 to 6 Hours to convert a 3GB File from a MKV to MP4 ! Does anyone have a suggestion of any other Software which does a equally good job, may be better than Handbrake. And maintains the same High Quality Video that Handbrake gives and does it faster ? without taking so much of time. Which has the same quality output as Handbrake. Please suggest people !
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Any Other Alternative to Handbrake ?

Post by s55 »

You can see alternatives to HandBrake on the "AlternativeTo" site.

That said, If your going from MKV to MP4 and only want to change container and not re-encode, then Handbrake is the wrong tool. You need a MP4 Muxer such as subler for this where it will do this very quickly. HandBrake is a video transcoder.

If your changing the format, or compressing further the video at the same time, then ultimately you probably want to tune the settings.
If Quality is the key objective, then your stuck with software encoders. Since most software will be using x264/x265, you'll find it doesn't suddenly get any faster using other applications as they are all using the same underlying encoders.

Speed, Quality, Filesize. Pick 2. This is the trade-offs in video encoding. Assuming you have a reason to re-encode, post your log files and we can make some suggestions to optimise for the 2 that you want.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

If you only need to change the container and not the streams (other than dropping some), HB is the wrong tool for you.

Use any muxer for that, like mp4box, subler, ffmpeg, etc. Much faster and no loss in quality.
Khair

Post by Khair »

Khair wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:17 pm Hey Guys,

So I have been using Handbrake pretty much if I wanna convert any Video file from one format to another. Though it is a Fantastic piece of Software, It takes ages to convert one (removed spam links) simple file of 3GB from MKV to MP4 ? It takes close to around 5 to 6 Hours to convert a 3GB File from a MKV to MP4 ! Does anyone have a suggestion of any other Software which does a equally good job, may be better than Handbrake. And maintains the same High Quality Video that Handbrake gives and does it faster ? without taking so much of time. Which has the same quality output as Handbrake. Please suggest people !
I got this,..
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

I knew this was going to get locked from the start, took even fewer days than I thought.