Can I convert a movie's audio codec only?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Bubbabob

Can I convert a movie's audio codec only?

Post by Bubbabob »

Hi, I tried doing a search but couldn't find a thread that pointed to my issue. I'd like to keep my video formats but just convert the audio codecs. Is there a way to do this in handbrake? I can't find an alternate converter that simultaneously excludes the video in the conversion while also easily creating queues.

Specifically, I want to convert all my audio codecs to AC3 because that's the only kind my Roku will recognize as 5.1.

I'm using Handbrake 1.3.3. for MacOS 11.0.1.

Thanks!

Description of problem or question:

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Can I convert a movie's audio codec only?

Post by Woodstock »

Not with handbrake - it's going to do the video.

ffmpeg can do it - they even have examples of doing that on their help page.
Bubbabob

Post by Bubbabob »

Good god, everything about the mmpeg website and its application seems designed to scare away people just like me. I seem to be forced to choose between the hell of mmpeg's UI and other applications that offer next to zero granular control.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

XmediaRecode should also be able to do this.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

rollin_eng wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:49 pm XmediaRecode should also be able to do this.
Ooops, thats windows.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

There are multiple graphic front ends to ffmpeg available. It has the advantage of being available for many platforms, and a lot of people write front ends to match their (personal or group) idea of the "perfect interface" for their operating system.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Since you're on Mac. you might want to check Subler. I don't know much about it.
If you have Windows, VideoRedo is my go-to.
Bubbabob

Post by Bubbabob »

Subler likes the idea of converting codecs from ac3 to aac, but isn't a big fan of changing anything TO ac3.

I'm not familiar with a ffmpeg that has the UI I can use. Unless I read something incorrectly, I believe handbrake utilizes ffmpeg?

Avidemux has a fairly user-friendly UI and it has the option of video pass through while converting the audio, but I can't figure out how to create a basic queue, and uploading files frequently runs into errors.
Deleted User 13735

Seems strange that your Roku won't take AAC 5.1
Is it an older model? Have your tried a firmware update?
Bubbabob

Post by Bubbabob »

It's a Roku Ultra with the latest firmware.

To be clear, AAC does send sound to the surround speakers...badly. Against a film with AC3 there's just no comparison. In my Star Wars AC3, you can hear surrounding environmental sounds exactly as you'd expect. With AAC, it just extends the sound of the front speaker, albeit weakly.
Bubbabob

Post by Bubbabob »

Super Eight, 18 minutes in, one with AAC and the other AC3. With AAC, the train car explodes and nothing special happens with the sound. Like I said, it's just front speakers pushed to the rear a little. Coded to AC3 the explosion moves all around me as the camera moves.

Like I said, no comparison.
Bubbabob

Post by Bubbabob »

When converting aac to ac3 do I need to increase the bit rate because aac works better at lower bit rates than ac3? Or would I just be adding file size? Another way to put the question is, if I already have a 256 bit rate aac, is my conversion to 256 bit rate ac3 a lateral or lesser move?
Deleted User 13735

It's always better to increase bitrate a bit to compensate for losses, but 320 will be enough.
Bubbabob

Post by Bubbabob »

musicvid wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:51 pm It's always better to increase bitrate a bit to compensate for losses, but 320 will be enough.
Thanks.