Difference between HB and Quicktime export conversion

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
BenBrum

Difference between HB and Quicktime export conversion

Post by BenBrum »

Description of problem or question:

I got a question specially for the Mac HB users.

I do have old mpg videofiles (720x576) and have to convert them into mp4 or mov to be able to import them into iMovie or DaVinci. So my objective is to convert them, not to reduce the file size.

I made use of HB to convert some of these mpg files into mp4. I also used the export function of Quicktime to convert the same mpg files into mov files.

At first glance I don’t see remarkable differences in quality between the mp4 and the mov files. But I noticed that the conversion process of the HB files took way way more time.

Considering that my aim is only to get appropriate files for iMovie or Davinci (in this case mp4 or mov) , why should I use HB (mp4) if converting by the export mode in Quicktime gives me the same quality (for mov) but in much less time.?

Am I overlooking something?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

NA

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Latest

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Mac Catalina 10:15:7

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
Deleted User 13735

Re: Difference between HB and Quicktime export conversion

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Quicktime MOV is a container, not a format.
MP4 is a container, not a format.
Lacking required logs for Handbrake and MediaInfo for your Quicktime file, your question is a nonstarter, sorry.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Difference between HB and Quicktime export conversion

Post by mduell »

HandBrake is highly configurable to provide a wide variety of speed, size, and quality tradeoffs; so any difference in speed is trivial to address.

For editing, the Production presets in HB would be a good starting point.