Encode Failed Family DVDs

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Jill.Steinbach

Encode Failed Family DVDs

Post by Jill.Steinbach »

Description of problem or question:
Hello! I'm new to Handbrake, but am looking to utilize it to transfer my family DVDs to an external hard drive. The DVDs were originally created in the late 2000's/early 2010s when I transcribed my parents' old family VHS footage onto numerous DVDs using iMovie software. When I try to start encoding, I get the error message 'Encode Failed.' The disk and the menus/titles I created do play on my computer, so it does not appear the disk itself is corrupted.

In my brief internet searching, I'm wondering if the error could be caused by the disks being 'read only,' but am unsure how to identify if this is the problem.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
I tried changing the presets (HQ480P30 Surround, Fast480P30 etc.) with no luck. I also tried with newer burned DVDs, but got the same error message.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
MacOs Big Sur 11.2.2

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

https://pastebin.com/kZEV5g3p
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Encode Failed Family DVDs

Post by Woodstock »

Code: Select all

[16:51:01] sync: got 0 frames, 243650 expected
When DVD read errors occur, they are treated as "end of file", and the encode will stop. Handbrake isn't a disk ripper, so it does not have very robust ways of dealing with disk errors.

You should try an actual ripping program, such as MakeMKV, which can deal with more of the kinds of errors that come from non-commercial disks. Not all DVD burning programs will create fully-compliant DVDs.
Jill.Steinbach

Post by Jill.Steinbach »

Hello-
Thanks so much for the quick reply, I appreciate it. So the issue lies within the way the original DVD was burned in iMovie, potentially?

I'll give MakeMKV a try (I had actually already downloaded it as a back-up option in case Handbrake didn't work). Do they have a similar forum/community in the event I still run into difficulties, do you know?

Thanks again
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Cannot say exactly where the error is, because there isn't enough information yet

Common ripping problems on commercial disks start with disk contamination or scratches. With home-authored disks, you can add in problems with how the directories were created/written, or non-standard VOBs. With disks generated by "DVD recorders", if they aren't "closed" properly, directory information can be missing.

All of these can thwart handbrake from reading the disk, and some are problematic with even dedicated rippers. But the dedicated rippers are more likely to have work-arounds for the weirdness.
Jill.Steinbach

Post by Jill.Steinbach »

Gotcha. So looks like it's tough to say. I was hoping that because it was a home-authored disk, I'd have less difficulty than a commercial disk. I'll give MakeMKV a try; it looks like they have a forum for troubleshooting as well.

Thanks again for your help; I really appreciate it!