HDCP

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
brokensword

HDCP

Post by brokensword »

Description of problem or question:

I was wondering if when converting my dvd into .mp4 using HandBrake, if there's any HDCP, does it also get converted or is it stripped out? I'm having trouble getting an .mp4 to play from my iPad2 to a projector. The projector is not HDCP compliant (Vankyo v630). The .mp4 plays on the iPad but when I plug in the adaptor to hdmi, the projector shows a blank screen and the iPad stops the movie. Can anyone help advise a workaround or at least confirm it's an HDCP problem?

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

v1.0.7

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

el Capitan OSX v10.11.6
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: HDCP

Post by Woodstock »

HDCP is between your player and the display device. Handbrake doesn't insert or copy anything over.

Think about it - HDCP is used to "fix" the "analog hole" of capturing video between the playback software and the monitor. You have already captured the video.
brokensword

Post by brokensword »

Thanks, I get it now. I mistakenly assumed it was some sort of DRM of the video, that's why I wondered if HandBrake stripped it or not. From my research, I know why it was created but it sure is making it hard to show any movie on an outside screen to my family.

I appreciate the time you took to answer.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

There are a lot of players that aren't licensed as "Bluray compatible", which do not use HDCP at all. Those that ARE licensed should invoke the check for DVD-quality videro.

It's pretty much a moot point now, though, since almost all new monitors have the HDCP circuitry in them. If your projector's native resolution was 720p or greater, it would have HDCP in it. I suspect that yours is like mine, in that it can accept 1080p video, but it only displays it at 720p (or maybe less). But I use mine with a media player that doesn't care about that.
brokensword

Post by brokensword »

I was told my Vankyo v630 is NOT HDCP compatible, so...