Subtitles look squished after conversion

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
joe-gillian
New User

Subtitles look squished after conversion

Post by joe-gillian »

Description of problem or question:

I am converting a ".dvdmedia" file created from my DVD using MactheRipper or DVDrip, to a MKV file using Handbrake.
The resulting file displays subtitles in a different aspect ratio than they appear playing when the DVD file.
Here is a screenshot of the .dvdmedia file being played in VLC. Letters are normal height.
Here is a screenshot of the file exported by Handbrake in VLC. Letters are squished, hard to read.

This makes subtitles difficult to read.

I noticed that the image format was trimmed to leave out the black bars on top and bottom, maybe that is related?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

Open a ".dvdmedia" file in Handbrake. Export the file with subtiles, not checking "forced only" and "burned in".
When opening the MKV file, the subtitles should have a different height than they had on the .dvdmedia file.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6 (17G14042)

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Log hosted HERE.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Subtitles look squished after conversion

Post by Woodstock »

They are squished - you've selected the wide-screen (letterbox) subtitles, and are using the regular screen video.
[15:44:17] * subtitle track 1, English (Wide Screen) [VOBSUB] (track 0, id 0x20bd, Picture) -> Render/Burn-in, Forced Only
Select the second subtitle instead, and they should look fine.