Can not play library files in 5.1 Dolby on Apple TV 4K

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ssaylor

Can not play library files in 5.1 Dolby on Apple TV 4K

Post by ssaylor »

Somewhere along the upgrade path from Catalina -> Big Sur and Apple TV HD -> Apple TV 4K, MKV/Handbrake Movies exported to iTunes (Music, OS X Big Sur) Library will not play in Dolby 5.1 on the Apple TV 4K. Streaming movies on the Apple TV 4K from Apple play in 5.1 as expected.

Oddly enough, if I PAUSE the 2 channel playback on the Apple TV and then hit PLAY, my AVR AC-3 Dolby light will illuminate but sound is still stereo 2 channel. WTF? I've never had any issues in a library of over 200 converted DVDs.

Has anyone else noticed this with OS X Big Sur 11.0.1?
HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Can not play library files in 5.1 Dolby on Apple TV 4K

Post by mduell »

An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.

Gotta see what you did; otherwise it's not a HB issue.
ssaylor

Post by ssaylor »

This concerns my library created over the last 10 years. My concern is that thee files were working perfectly in DD5.1 on my Mac with Catalina/Apple TV HD. Apple is telling me they no longer support DD streamed from the iTunes Library on the Mac ,only stereo. I'm interested to know if the Handbrake Developers are aware of this. For me, it's not worth converting files any more if that's the way it is.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Still need to see an activity log from an existing encode to know what you've done.
ssaylor

Post by ssaylor »

Resolved - cabling issue..
Karyboue

Post by Karyboue »

What kind of cabling issue ?

I have the same problem since the 13th of December ...

No more DD 5.1, PCM 2.0 only on my 2 AppleTV 4K on 2 different TVs (4K and 8K) on 2 different locations and obviously with 2 different HDMI cables.

But DD 5.1 works using Plex on AppleTV 4K.

And Insanely DD 5.1 works on my AppleTV 3 (no image though as the files are for AppleTV 4K) ????