Does libdvdcss get outdated

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Tango

Does libdvdcss get outdated

Post by Tango »

Description of problem or question:

I had installed Handbrake on my iMac years ago and used it a fair amount at the time. I also installed libdvdcss without trouble.

In the past couple weeks, I've been using Handbrake. Mostly, I've been converting MKV files produced by MakeMKV, but at one point I tried to rip a DVD from my drive and got a message that Handbrake does not handle copyrighted DVDs.

I thought libdvdcss was supposed to handle that. Is it possible that my version of libdvdcss could be too old to work now?

I wanted to double-check before I went through the process and reinstalled it, in case that creates version conflicts. (I remember that nightmare on Linux, from the old RPM-hell I encountered many times, so I'm always cautious about version issues.

Also, as a sidenote, I have recently installed Homebrew. Does that create any known issues with libdvdcss or Handbrake?

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Version 1.3.3

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
macOS Mojave, Version 10.14.3.

(I was going to update, but one program that does not work on Sierra is a DVD/BD ripping program I use. But if I can get Handbrake to handle all DVDs, then that won't be an issue.)

I've had this happen on two DVDs along the way, out of dozens I've ripped. Sadly, I don't remember which two, so reproducing the error at this point is going to be tough - but my main focus is on whether I will create a problem by upgrading or if Homebrew has known issues with Handbrake.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: Does libdvdcss get outdated

Post by Ritsuka »

Recent versions of HandBrake requires libdvdcss to be signed with a valid developer certificate. I don't know if there is a properly libdvdcss signed version out there on the web to download.
Tango

Post by Tango »

I'm betting that's for protection of the project and of developers.

It is disappointing, though. I'll see if I can find a signed one.

Thank you.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You should probably just avoid using it to be honest. It doesn't fix any of the hundreds of structural copy protections or structural issues discs come with these days. It's not been updated in a long time (probably more than a decade now since any serious work was done on that project)

In general, it's a bad solution. Folks mostly use things like MakeMKV these days as a first step.