Compression Increasing Video Size

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
newvideomaker
New User

Compression Increasing Video Size

Post by newvideomaker »

Description of problem or question:

I have been compressing my files with Handbrake for the last 3 months with no issues. A few days ago Handbrake has started increasing my video size instead of compressing. I use Premiere Pro and I'm producing 30-60 min videos ranging from 3-6 GB. I have had no problem getting them down below 2 GB but now its increasing .5-1GB. I'm producing 1080p 30 mp4 files to compress.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Mojave 10.14.6

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Compression Increasing Video Size

Post by mduell »

An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

So, what did you change?

An activity log tells us what handbrake saw in your files, and what settings you asked it to apply. If you don't want to provide it for some reason, you could go back to doing things the way you did them "a few days ago" plus 1.
Last edited by Woodstock on Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Post by Lostless »

There is no guarantee that you will get smaller video files. Depending on the how much movement and motion there is in the source video, handbrake tries to retain as much detail as possible. Also the input video format, if you have a hevc video and convert to h.264, you may end up with a larger video because hevc is more efficient. Also the detail setting you use, the better quality, the more detail handbrake will try to retain.