Confused about settings for burning DVDs to play on DVD players

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
drbeckerwood

Confused about settings for burning DVDs to play on DVD players

Post by drbeckerwood »

Description of problem or question:

I'm sorry, I've tried googling and reading the documentation, but it's very confusing and seems geared around ripping. I don't see any presets or guides for burning a dvd to play on a dvd player. I want to make a couple dvds. I don't mind if it takes longer, I prefer good quality.

From what I gather, Handbrake won't actually burn a dvd, but I still need to convert these so that they're the right framerate and resolution for my dvd player?

My sources are mkv files:
First: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1), 1280x720, Framerate: 23.976216, DTS AudioSecond: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1), 1920x1088, Framerate: 24.000384, DTS Audio

Please and thank you, advise me as to the appropriate settings and workflow, or point me towards accurate, recent documentation with this information.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

n/a

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

MacOs Catalina 10.5.4

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

This not a bug.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Confused about settings for burning DVDs to play on DVD players

Post by Woodstock »

Correct, handbrake will not burn DVDs.

If you want to burn DVDs, you need DVD authoring software, and most of them will take care of converting the video to DVD standards, regardless of what the source video is. DVDs do not use h264 video, they use MPEG2, and the selection of audio codecs is limited. And, of course, the video has to be 720x480.
musicvid
Veteran User

Re: Confused about settings for burning DVDs to play on DVD players

Post by musicvid »

To add just a bit, most MP4 files will play from a DVD if you dump the files on a disc, the Windows way. Since they are not authored, they won't have titles or menus, just the video file.