Preset location on disk?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
djwudi

Preset location on disk?

Post by djwudi »

Description of problem or question:

Are the Handbrake presets accessible anywhere in the MacOS filesystem?

I've recently performed a full nuke-and-pave (erase and reinstall) on my system, and have realized that one of the few things that I didn't remember to export to a backup was my custom Handbrake presets. I do still have my Time Machine backups from before the n&p, so can easily dig into those to recover files and transfer them from out of the backup. However, I've yet to successfully find the presets stored anywhere on the drive. I've looked for a Handbrake folder in both /Library/Application Support/ and ~/Library/Application Support/ with no luck. I've also tried to see if they might be stored in /Library/Preferences/ (or ~/Library/Preferences/), but no go there, either. I even tried digging into the Handbrake package with no success.

Is there any way for me to dig into my Time Machine drive and recover the presets I was using before the n&p? Or will I just have to bite the bullet and rebuild those too? (Not a disaster if I have to, but I can't remember exactly where I got the settings I was using for my old presets or what they were, so....)

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

N/A (unless you want to erase and reinstall your OS for funsies).

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.3.2 (2020050300)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

macOS Catalina 10.15.5 (19F101)

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

I know you say this is required, but it's _really_ not relevant to my question.
Handbrake is working just fine, no issues to be found in the log. :)
Crossing my fingers that you won't ignore my question due to non-compliance here.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Preset location on disk?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

HandBrake 1.3.2 is now a sandboxed application, you'll find your presets file here:

Code: Select all

~/Library/Containers/fr.handbrake.HandBrake/Data/Library/Application Support/HandBrake/UserPresets.json
djwudi

Re: Preset location on disk?

Post by djwudi »

Thank you! And my apologies - after I hit “post”, I got to wondering if I’d been a bit of a jerk about ignoring the log requirement. Went to the “why is this required” page, and not only did I confirm that I was being a bit of a jerk (my apologies again), but the log location address on that page gave me the pointer I needed to track down the sandboxed location. So, if I’d just followed the rules, I might not have made the post in the first place. :)

Thanks for answering anyway!