Latest version killing performance on OSX

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
arnold2

Latest version killing performance on OSX

Post by arnold2 »

Description of problem or question:
1.3.1 is killing system performance during encoding in a bad way - to test, I have just downgraded to v1.2.2 - WAY BETTER, encoding is FASTER, and the system UI doesn't start to slow down - what on earth have the devs done!

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
OSX 10.14.6

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
arnold2

Re: Latest version killing performance on OSX

Post by arnold2 »

FYI this is not a support request, so no log, but an observation - I can type this reply easily as I am encoding in 1.2.2, on the latest version, even typing is crawling the system
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You know, with the log you so quickly dismiss the need for, a lot could be told about your system. Things like, how limited is your system memory?

With 1.3.x and later, the process is "fully sandboxed and hardened" per Apple specifications. If you have limited memory, there is increased processor overhead in switching tasks, and even though handbrake sets itself to run at a lower priority, the overhead is still there. In fact, it may be increased, because the system would "swap it out" more often. If you don't have enough cores, it could get worse.

Why not share a log from both 1.2.x and 1.3.x so we can see how much this overhead is affecting YOUR configuration?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

No, there isn't an "increased processor overhead in switching tasks". 1.3 runs some threads at normal priority instead of low. On my Mac the UI is still fully usable even when encoding, and the speed is the same as before.

Anyway, post the log from 1.2 and 1.3 and your computer specifications.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

arnold2 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:29 pm FYI this is not a support request, so no log, but an observation - I can type this reply easily as I am encoding in 1.2.2, on the latest version, even typing is crawling the system
Arrogance doesn't play well here.
dia3olik
New User

Post by dia3olik »

guys btw on 1.3.2 if using x265 10bit in slow and with nlmeans ultralight film it's really hogging the system (imac 2019 8 core i9), even using renice etc you almost can't use the machine whilst encoding...
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

I'll make a test build for you in the next few days.