Mac - foreign film

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hayu2law

Mac - foreign film

Post by hayu2law »

Description of problem or question:

I am currently trying to rip a foreign film. The base language is Italian and I want to keep it in the base language and add the English subtitles. I have reviewed the doc for subtitles and I really do not understand what I need to do. I am very much a novice at this and the movied dubbed with an English voice kills this amazing film. Please help!

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Version 0.10.5 x86_64 (2016021100)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

I think this is what is required for this step....libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient

libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x00000128
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x00001444
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x0000c8b4
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_0.VOB at 0x0029ae6d
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x0029b1c9
libdvdread: Found 2 VTS's
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000. Regions: 1
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Mac - foreign film

Post by Woodstock »

What happens if you rip using a ripping tool, like MakeMKV, rather than trying to make handbrake do something unsupported?

Handbrake has no handling for disk errors; when one occurs, it assumes the video has ended. The unsupported 3rd-party add-on you are using ONLY deals with CSS encryption, and none of the other ways commercial disks are copy protected.

Once you have the file ripped off the disk, adding subtitles can be done by either adding them to the MKV file (if you have SSA/ASS subtitles with embedded fonts, this is the best), or (for SRT or SSA/ASS without embedded fonts) by specifying the external file to load on the subtitle tab.
hayu2law

Re: Mac - foreign film

Post by hayu2law »

I actually figured out my issue. This is really a 2 step process. (so maybe this will help others)

1. first select the native language of the movie under the "audio" tab"
2. second select the language of the closed caption you want to be on the movie under the "subtitle" tab

This is very simple, once you understand the lay of the land. I hope this helps others!