How to convert video files in a batch?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
skyw

How to convert video files in a batch?

Post by skyw »

Description of problem or question:

I can select a folder of video files in a BATCH, but I CAN'T convert them in a BATCH. I need select and add the title ONE-BY-ONE to the QUEUE, and then I can proceed the convert. This may be very inconvenient, as I simply and only want to convert a batch of video files with the UNIFORM settings.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
macOS 10.15.3

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: How to convert video files in a batch?

Post by Ritsuka »

File -> Add titles to queue.
skyw

Post by skyw »

Got it, thanks. This may be a little bit not user-friendly, as I don't expect we need to click this function on the menu bar, instead of simply click the Add titles to queue.

My recommendation: Modify the "Add to queue" button, add an arrow button on the lower right corner, and show TWO options: Add to queue, Add all titles to queue. I think this may be the best solution. Looking forward to the modification. Thank you!
tlmurray

Post by tlmurray »

Or File > Add Folder to Queue, and/or the same Add Folder when you click Add To Queue. And in a similar vein, when you click Stop, use the words "Batch" or "Queue" instead of "Job", as old-timers like me think of processing a queue as a "job".
tlmurray

Post by tlmurray »

Current methods are not intuitive or user friendly. I can select file in Finder > drop onto HB, and I see, at "Source" at the top, what appears like them all being added. Clicking Queue shows only the first one, and when I click Start, and HB converts only that same first one.

File > Add to queue adds only whatever is in the Title field, and File > Add titles to queue shows just that same file. Add warns me about overwriting a queue, and does not present a way of adding additional files or a folder of files.

Another sequence looked like it added 8 files in my folder, then converted the first one 8 times.

I finally got all 8 converted, but I've clicked so many things that I can't recall what I did. The help at handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.3.0/advanced/queue.html was of little help, other than I kept trying Add titles to queue.

Please, just make an obvious Add Folder or something reasonable, a way of selecting multiple files in a dialog.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Yea it's insane; write a short wrapper for the far superior CLI to loop through your files.