Handbrake Temp file storage overview

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
exod

Handbrake Temp file storage overview

Post by exod »

Description of problem or question:
So i've been running handbrake on a few DVDs and converting them. I noticed I discrepancy from used space and free space. System is stating I have 104GB space left out of my 1TB hard drive but I have totaled the folders which is only 530GB so I'm missing like 366GB of storage.

1TBHD
--530GB >(Accounted for calculated folder sizes)
--104GB >free
--366GB >Unaccounted for

So the only thing running on this computer was handbrake overnight. So had other issues with handbrake so I thought a restart would be in order. So i rebooted the system the same result. However, after awhile the unaccounted data was purged.

Question:
-So does handbrake storing temp files somewhere on the macOS? (if so where) Also when does handbrake clean up these files?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
NA

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
macOS 10.13.6

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Handbrake Temp file storage overview

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Do you have Time Machine enabled?
exod

Post by exod »

I do have time machine enabled. But I have the folder I'm working and saving the files excluded from the time machine backup.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The point was that Time Machine allocates space for itself, which may be where your "366G unaccounted for" is hiding.
exod

Post by exod »

Ok soo handbrake isn't keeping any temporary rendered files on the drive before it replaced it with the final file? Just wondering since it was something I noticed. I'll keep an eye on time machine because it doesn't make sense that if you're excluding the folder why would time machine backing up the folder contents. It felt that handbrake was more the potential issue.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Correct - it pretty much writes directly to the output file. If you abort an encode, the output file is still there, just incomplete, and starting the encode over will overwrite it (after asking permission). There are some files that can remain in your temporary directory (chapter lists), but they are not "hidden", and I just cleaned out my temp directory of 5 years' worth, and freed up just over a megabyte of space.

There has been a feature request to do what you thought HB was doing (write to a temp file, rename at the end), but it has not moved forward.
Deleted User 11865

We write scan previews and the statsfile as well, but those are fairly small and should not exceed a few gigabytes total, and certainly would never reach 366 GB.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It'd only reach that kind of level if something was preventing cleanup.

You'd need a mac equivalent to windirstat to easily find what's eating the space.
Deleted User 11865

Most likely it's the Time Machine local snapshots taking up all this space.