No Valid Source Found - MacOS Catalina

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Mobiwan

No Valid Source Found - MacOS Catalina

Post by Mobiwan »

[a] Description of problem or question:

After installing Catalina, when I scan a source disc it scans thru the disc (but not in a normal sequence) and then ends with "No Valid Source Found".

When I say "not in a normal sequence" what I mean is that there are 2 steps to the scan. It finds the number of titles, then starts an individual scan of each title (and usually the numbers of titles noted in the 1st and 2nd step don't match - usually the 2nd step has less titles).
When it is on the 2nd step it usually is 1 of X, preview 1,2,3 etc... and then goes to 2 of X, etc... until complete. Now it starts with 1 of X, preview 1,2,3, etc..., but then goes to 1 of X-1, preview 1,2,3 etc..., and then to 1 of X-2, and counts down until ending the scan with "no valid source found".

I've used Handbrake for years and never had this issue. I have the correct library file installed. I think it has to do with a bunch of the questions (pop-up windows) that came up after installing Catalina. Maybe it is a "permissions" issue ?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

I've tried with a number of different discs with the same outcome. I can scan the discs with MakeMKV, so that is not the issue.

[c] HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Handbrake 1.3.0

[d] Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

MacOS 10.15.1

[e] HandBrake Activity Log ***required***

No Encode Logs are created (that I can tell) since no valid source is found upon initial scan.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: No Valid Source Found - MacOS Catalina

Post by Ritsuka »

If you are referring to "libdvdcss", you don't have the correct library installed. HandBrake uses the hardened runtime on macOS, so it can load only signed libraries, and your library is not signed. And we don't support libdvdcss anyway.

A good solution: use makemkv to copy the dvd-video before using HandBrake.
A workaround: use a nightly build.
Mobiwan

Post by Mobiwan »

Thanks for the prompt response. Yes I am referring to "libdvdcss". After getting the initial error of 'No Valid Source Found', I reinstalled the "libdvdcss" (thru 2 different methods - but with the same outcome - same error message).
Sorry for my ignorance here, but when you refer to 'signed libraries', what do you mean ? Is it possible to sign my library (if it is not) ? I've never had this issue before (multiple years and multiple OS updates), so I'm not sure why it is not working now (perhaps this is a new issue with Catalina ?)

I can make your suggested 'MakeMKV' workaround work, but that is a pretty clunky solution.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Sure, you could sign it yourself. The process is not trivial, and has non-technical requirements. You've got a lot of homework to do.

Also, it's not in any way supported by the HB team, as DVD decryption hasn't been for more than 10 years.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Right, there are new security requirements on 10.14 and 10.15 for new apps. If you want to continue to use libdvdcss you can download a HandBrake nightly build. Nightly builds are not signed and can load unsigned libraries.
Nomis101

Post by Nomis101 »

mduell wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:17 pm Sure, you could sign it yourself. The process is not trivial, and has non-technical requirements.
If one has a Developer ID Application certificate from Apple, it is just a one liner:

Code: Select all

codesign -s "Developer ID Application: yourname" --deep -fv /usr/local/lib/libdvdcss.2.dylib
I've tried it out and it seems to works well. But, you are right, if one has no Terminal experiences, this is not recommended.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Nomis101 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:51 pmBut, you are right, if one has no Terminal experiences, this is not recommended.
Or if they don't have a Developer ID Application certificate from Apple.