Large Files

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Ron

Large Files

Post by Ron »

Description of problem or question:

I have Handbrake set for HQ, and the frame rate set as; Same as source. Why is it that when I convert it is at a very reasonable file size, and the next time it goes 2 gigs bigger, and I am comparing 2 HD Blu-ray mov files that have about the same time length . Is there a glitch, or do I have to shut down program and restart ?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Mojave

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Large Files

Post by JohnAStebbins »

When it comes to file size, you can't compare and encode of one source with an encode of another source. HandBrake uses constant quality encoding by default, which means it uses whatever bitrate is required to maintain consistent output quality. E.g. a video of a talking head with very little motion is going to encode much smaller than a grainy action flick.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Ok, so if I’m properly understanding you; it means some Blu-ray’s are encoded with higher and better quality? If that is the answer, then I thank you. I have been trying to match iTunes video quality down to the size of their files. It was haunting me to try and replicate it. Just for reference, I was trying to compress Crimes of Grindelwald, and couldn’t get it less than 7 gigs at HQ quality, with the slider at 18, and audio 7.1 audio at 640, and Dolby Digital EX at 160.
Many thanks.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

If you want to match iTunes quality and size, you'd need to start with the masters iTunes gets from the studios, not a compressed Blu-ray.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

some Blu-ray’s are encoded with higher and better quality?
No. Some video is harder to encode than other. Noise and motion are just a couple of things that can make video harder to encode. Harder to encode video requires a higher bitrate to achieve a given quality.

Trying to match "iTunes quality" is going to require more than just matching file size. A lot depends on the quality of the source material they are encoding from. For example, I've been encoding old James Bond movies and new Avengers movies lately. They are both high action movies of approximately the same duration, but the Bond flicks were encoding to twice the size of the Avengers movies. The reason is the quality of the source video. The Bond flicks are old grainy film transfers to bluray. iTunes probably starts with higher quality master sources than are available to you and me. They probably also employ high quality pre-filters to remove artefacts (like noise) that impact encoding.

I've been using HandBrakes nlmeans noise filter to remove some of the noise in the Bond flicks to bring the file sizes down some. But use of filters like this is something you would want to determine on a case by case basis. Any filter is going to reduce quality, so you want to use them sparingly.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I want to thank all of you. It all makes sense now. A lot of smart people here. Take care.
nhyone
Bright Spark User

Post by nhyone »

Ron wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:59 pm Just for reference, I was trying to compress Crimes of Grindelwald, and couldn’t get it less than 7 gigs at HQ quality, with the slider at 18
What is iTunes' size?

7 GB for this 133 min movie means 7 Mbps, including audio. It should not be too far off iTunes, where I read is 4 - 5.5 Mbps for 1080p.

Use slightly higher CRF 20 - 21? (18 = you are aiming to be transparent with Blu-ray source. iTunes is not Blu-ray quality.)
Ron

Post by Ron »

Thank you . I will try that setting.
nhyone
Bright Spark User

Post by nhyone »

Any update? :D