Problem with Subtitles getting added from MKV - MP4 conversion.

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
DocHands

Problem with Subtitles getting added from MKV - MP4 conversion.

Post by DocHands »

Description of problem or question:
Having trouble getting PGS subtitles as an option from MKV file into MP4 - have selected:
"Subtitles - Track - 0: English" and the program grays out the 'Burned In" box, which is checked.
Under "Selection Behaviors", I have English checked, and the "Add Closed Captions when available", but not "Add Foreign Audio Search. I also have 'Burn-in Behavior set to none and the DVD & Blu-ray Subtitles boxes are not checked.

Once I convert, there's no subtitle option available (either in QuickTime, nor VLC), but the MKV version works correctly for subtitles in VLC. I'd like to have the option of the subtitles, but not have them hard burned in.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
See above.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
1.1.2 (2018090500)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
MacOS HighSierra 10.13.6

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Problem with Subtitles getting added from MKV - MP4 conversion.

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Blu-ray PGS subtitles cannot be muxed in an MP4 container, which is why they have to be burned in.
DocHands

Post by DocHands »

Ah - so, I can do so for DVD, but not Blu-ray...is that right?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Correct. Although, technically, DVD subtitles in an MP4 file is a "popular extension" that isn't really standard. Not all MP4 players will work with VOB subtitles (like QuickTime).