QuickTime subtitles

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
HBENDUSER

QuickTime subtitles

Post by HBENDUSER »

Description of problem or question:

I have created a movie file (m4v) with HandBrake from a DVD which has different audio tracks and subtitles tracks.

The file I got works perfectly with VLC where I can use all the audio and subtitles tracks, although it does have subtitles issues using QuickTime, where I can see no one of the subtitles tracks.

I know that QuickTime does not support all the subtitles tracks formats as VLC does, though wondering if is any way to create the movie file in a format that could work with QuickTime too.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

Just created a file from DVD

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

MacOSX HighSIerra 10.13.6

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

I think you do not need a log here, since HandBrake works fine, it is just a question about to create files for QuickTime.

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
BradleyS

Re: QuickTime subtitles

Post by BradleyS »

QuickTime does not support VOBSUB (DVD) subtitles in MP4. One track can be burned in permanently, or you can manually add SRT tracks to be converted to MP4 Timed Text.

Basically, QuickTime can't use subtitles found on DVDs at all.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

BradleyS wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:18 am Basically, QuickTime can't use subtitles found on DVDs at all.
Unless it's got a real closed caption track (not a vobsub conversion of CC), which HandBrake would label something like

Code: Select all

English, Closed Caption [CC608]
HandBrake will convert CC608 subtitles to timed text when muxing to mp4.
HBENDUSER

Post by HBENDUSER »

Thanks John,

And where can I find this setting or how cat I set it on.... tried to look around within handbrake but did not find it...?