HandBrake produces unplayable MKV files.

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Deleted User 11865

Re: HandBrake produces unplayable MKV files.

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Woodstock wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:48 amAnd you said that a file remuxed by mkvmerge directly, rather than using inviska first, also doesn't work, so, "what is inviska doing?" is a very good question.
Probably nothing special; my guess is using mkvextract then mkvmerge would produce the same results.

In an MKV to MKV remux, several Matroska-specific elements would get passed through unmodified, whereas in an extract-mux scenario, you're muxing from raw bitstreams so the original Matroska is completely discarded, producing slightly different (theoretically equivalent, but not equal) results.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

See, I was sure I'd be corrected! :)

Then we now have two, possibly three different muxers (handbrake, mkvtoolnix, MakeMKV) that product files that are incompatible with the NTV550, EXCEPT when a certain demuxer (inviska) is used, per the author of this topic.

The NTV550 is NOT to be suspected, per the author, because it plays "every other mkv file" the author downloads from internet. And, apparently, the author has no other player (hardware or software) with which to test the handbrake-generated MKV files.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Looking at it slightly differently, "What is inviska REMOVING from the MKV file that ALLOWS the NTV550 to play it?"

What would allow the author to compare the MKV file contents at each stage of the process, i.e., snapshot the included tracks after handbrake completes, after mkvtoolnix (by itself) remuxes the file, and after the handbrake MKV is demuxed by inviska then remuxed by mkvtoolnix?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Woodstock wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:39 pm "What is inviska REMOVING from the MKV file that ALLOWS the NTV550 to play it?"
My guess is chicken nuggets.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I think this thread has out lived it's usefulness so I'm locking it.

The issue lies with the NTV550 so there is nothing more we can do or say about this.