VOB to MP3 with Handbrake

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ljberry

VOB to MP3 with Handbrake

Post by ljberry »

Can I use Handbrake to take a DVD I just recorded in my DVD recorder and extract the VOB sound track and burn it to a MP3 file to burn on a CD to play in the car.

Anyone help and tell he how to do it?

Lowell
baggss

Post by baggss »

You can rip the video to an MP4 and then use Quicktime Pro to extract the sound to a file and save it as an MP3.

I suspect their is an easier way that I am not thinking of though.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

To extract the audio from a DVD, I use 0SEx:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9830

That gives you an AC3 file you can encode with any number of tools.

You could also try ffmpegX, which I believe can extract AC3 and convert in 1 step. I've had better experiences with 0SEx, however.
whimpers
Experienced

Post by whimpers »

You can also use MacTheRipper to extract the ac3 audio (Title only extraction - click the 'D' button and click on 'streams'). On the right select the audio track you need and you'll get the ac3 track. Like said above, you can use FFMpegX to convert it to mp3 in one step, or you can use MAC3dec or bd4go to convert the ac3 to aiff, and you can convert the aiff to mp3 with iTunes.
Converting the DVD to mpeg4 would really take too long if you just need the audio.
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

I've also used OSEx, but version 0.0101b. Can't recall why but I thought I'd read something bad about 0.0110a1. Forget I said anything.

For DVDs with lots of separate songs (like concert videos) it can be helpful to write down ahead of time all of the relevant Chapters and Titles. Scan through the DVD in DVD Player.app, with the "Navigator" showing (Window menu).

That way you can (possibly) just select and rip the songs and not the rest and not have to chop it up later into individual song files (if desired). At least it worked brilliantly with the Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense.

To change the AC-3 into something you can use, I've used mAC3dec with great results. sourceforge.net/projects/mac3dec
dp34

Post by dp34 »

You could take a different approach and use Audio Hijack. Just play the DVD and Audio Hijack will create an MP3 file of the soundtrack for you. I have used this a lot for exactly that application - seems to work great.

Just google Audio Hijack - it is worth the money to get the Pro version (IMHO)

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/