Re-code a .mkv-file with embedded subtitles

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
danalefay

Re-code a .mkv-file with embedded subtitles

Post by danalefay »

I run Plex on a Synology NAS and watches thru a Apple TV and I want to re-code a lot of my videos to save some space. This works fine until I get to .mkv-files with embedded subtitles because when a .mkv-file has the wrong kind of subtitles, like VOBSUB, I can't play the file because my NAS can't transcode it to the Apple TV.

How can I re-code the file in Handbrake and save some space at the same time the subtitle stays the same? When I try and add the subtitle track in Handbrake the subtitle somehow changes(I don't burn it or anything).

From the beginning Plex show the subtitles like "English (SRT)" and everything works. When I re-code it it says "English (ASS)" and it doesn't work.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Re-code a .mkv-file with embedded subtitles

Post by mduell »

If you want the subs to stay VOBSUB, then you have to leave the container as MKV. You can do this while reencoding the video to save space by choosing the MKV container in HB.

If you want the ATV to play to file, you have to burn the subs in and change the container to MP4/M4V.
danalefay

Post by danalefay »

I want it to stay a SRT subtitle, it can't play VOBSUB
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

If you have SRT, HB will change it to timed text in MP4 (or SSA in MKV), which is compatible with your playback environment.

HB will not convert VOBSUB to SRT, although other programs will.