Subtitle Options

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
woovision
New User

Subtitle Options

Post by woovision »

Description of problem or question:

Hello,

I would like to know the difference in behavior between the Forced Only, Burned In, and Default subtitle options when adding an SRT file to a video file or existing subtitle track right from the VIDEO_TS folder.

Ideally, the subtitles will come on by default through a video preview, even without launching a media player.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

I usually choose the Burned In option when working with an SRT file, but I don't get consistent results when working with a DVD.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Mac 10.13.6

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

https://pastebin.com/zM8CC4k0
[/code]
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Subtitle Options

Post by Woodstock »

"Forced" refers to subtitles that are flagged as "forced" (displayed even when subtitles are generally off). It is rare that this flag is used, so using it often results in NO subtitles. This comes down to how the disk was authored; most "forced" subtitles will be found in a separate track, rather than using the flag. *

SRT doesn't have "forced" subtitles. Using Forced would be result in no subtitles. Versions 1.1 and later should hide this option for SRT tracks.

"Burned in" means the subtitle will be incorporated in the video. It will always be there, in other words, even if your player does not support subtitles.

For SRT, this is usually the best option, because the subtitle renderer in handbrake is better than most players use.

"Default" means the track will be flagged as the primary track. It has no meaning if "Burned in" is set. And many (most?) players ignore the flag in any case.

* When used with Foreign Audio Scan, Forced does have meaning. If used, FAS looks for subtitles with the flag, OR a track that has 10% or fewer subtitles than other subtitle tracks. Without it, it only uses the 10% or less rule.