perm subtitles

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Moebian73

perm subtitles

Post by Moebian73 »

Not so much a newbie to Handbrake, but

How do you permanently put subtitles into a video using Handbrake 1.1.1. I know how to put them in temp, for one viewing, but to leave them in there without puttin them back in every time I watch it.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: perm subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

Check "Burn in" for the subtitle you want burned in, on the Subtitles page. You can only burn in one subtitle.

You can TRY setting the "default" flag instead, but not many playback devices and programs use that flag.

A lot of players WILL play the first subtitle track found in the file automatically, but that is not reliable, either.
Moebian73

Post by Moebian73 »

All the players I'll be using is VLC on my iMac.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The default behaviour for VLC is to play the first subtitle track for your chosen language, or the first found if you have not specified a preferred language. I've experimented a bit with the default flag, and I don't remember VLC paying attention to it... But that was a couple of years ago, and Videolan has brok..., er, changed a lot of things in that time.

Absolute sure is to burn it in, which will be necessary if you try to write a Bluray subtitle to an MP4 file anyway. Second level sure is make the one you want the first subtitle written.