General problem: HB 1.1 creating noisy rips

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
dshlapak

General problem: HB 1.1 creating noisy rips

Post by dshlapak »

I'll submit a full bug report if it proves necessary, but I thought I'd first inquire whether this was a known problem for which there was known fix.

I'm encountering a general issue using HB 1.1 to re-rip some DVD's that it's been successful with in the past (but that I failed to capture the subtitles of). It creates an m4v file that's unwatchably noisy.

Mac OS 10.13.

At first I thought it was because I was using a "Super HQ" preset, but the same thing happened when I fell back to "Fast 1080" or "Fast 720".

Again, hoping this is just me being a knucklehead. If not, I'll send it a full bug report.

Thanks to all!
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: General problem: HB 1.1 creating noisy rips

Post by Woodstock »

A log file would help a LOT with ambiguous "it doesn't work" questions.

Handbrake does not support ripping protected media. You probably are trying to rip a commercial disk, with copy protection. If it worked in the past, you were using a third-party add-on to make it work, and the third-party add-on isn't working now. This is not a supported configuration.

What happens when you use a ripping program, like MakeMKV or AnyDVD, to create unencrypted MKV files?
dshlapak

Post by dshlapak »

Again, was hoping I was just being a knucklehead. Which it looks like I was. For whatever reason, yes, I used to be able rip commercial DVDs that I own for my own personal use successfully. Perhaps I was indeed using some sort of additional plug-in that I no longer have. Haven't done this for a couple of years...since version 0.7 or something on that order.

Will try it with MakeMKV. historically, I've only had to use that to rip BluRay disks.

Thanks for the info.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The library handbrake uses for reading DVDs can make use of a library that does the decryption, but that library comes from a third party (videolan.org), and MacOS has made it increasingly difficult for applications to share libraries.

A few years ago, all you had to have was VLC installed on the machine, and handbrake would use its DVD decryption library.

Each time a new version of MacOS comes out, the method to get it to work changes. And, even when you follow the latest magic ritual, the result is not 100% with all disks.

Commercial disk decryption companies spend the time and effort to chase each change to the encryption methods. On their forums, they're talking about the latest encryption used on UHD Blu-ray disks that were released this month. We don't need the handbrake developers devoting THAT much time to one aspect of video processing, do we? :)