Older Version Availability

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
HandieTinker

Older Version Availability

Post by HandieTinker »

Description of problem or question:

I have been using Handbrake for some time, with great success! I am current running High Sierra 10.13.4 on an iMac, which is the system I have always used (except of course that I have upgraded the OS as well).

I upgraded to Handbrake 1.1.0 for Mac. For whatever reason, I can not read any DVDs with Handbrake 1.1.0 for Mac.

FWIW, I noticed that after opening the dmg file, I am instructed to drag the app icon into the "doc" folder, rather than the "apps" folder. Since "doc" folders are on Windows systems, perhaps I have somehow downloaded the wrong file -- despite having downloaded several times from the link that is ostensibly for the Mac version.

I have given up on trying to figure out what the problem is.

I would just like to revert to what I had before I "upgraded". Unfortunately, the only version I have saved is 1.01. I reinstalled from this, and it works. But I suppose there are later versions that might have some improvements.

So, I was wondering if there is somewhere a repository of the older versions. E.g. perhaps I could successfully run Handbrake 1.0.9, while waiting for version 1.1.1 or later...

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

I upgraded to version 1.1.0 for Mac

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

I am running High Sierra 10.13.4 on an iMac.

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

I do not know how to get an activity log, since the instructions provided do not seem to work for my system.

Regardless, I am just looking for a repository of older versions of Handbrake. That is all the "support" I need.

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Older Version Availability

Post by mduell »

Support for commercial DVDs is from a third party hack that is not supported by the HB team. This has been the case for 4+ years.

The best practice is to rip any commercial DVDs with MakeMKV, and then use HB if you require further processing.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

No, you are not instructed to drag the app to the "doc" folder, because there is no instruction at all… drag it wherever you want.

You probably have a older version of libdvdcss installed. You need a newer one, the simpler way is to install it with Homebrew. Or use makemkv that works better.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

See https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.1.0/get- ... stall.html for more information on downloading and installing HandBrake. The doc folder beside the application is not intended to be a drag target.