Unable to select output file

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
olliemac

Unable to select output file

Post by olliemac »

Unable to select the output file. :

In the general tab of preferences there is an option to send the file to and you can browse for locations when you choose a folder the open option is greyed out and you cannot choose a destination folder for the encoded file :

HandBrake version Version 1.1.0 (2018040700):

Operating system and version macOS 10.13.4 High Sierra,

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: Unable to select output file

Post by Ritsuka »

dpinckard

Post by dpinckard »

I agree with olliemac that no longer being able to select a filename is not an improvement in my workflow. Previous versions of Handbrake allowed me to select an existing filename, not just a path.

When ripping DVDs I will pre-create empty files with the correct filenames by parsing web data. Then as I add tracks to the queue, I don't have to spend time manually entering a filename for each one. It makes the process MUCH faster and less error prone.

Now with 1.1 we can only select a path and must type a filename.

I would very much like to see the ability to select a filename restored.

Really like the new look and see lots of improvements in 1.1. Excellent work guys!
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I'm confused. "Send File to" is to invoke another application and pass the destination path as an argument to it. That's how it's always worked.

The destination filename is still editable if that's what you mean?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

But you have to type, not select an existing filename as the output filename, which is the complaint.

People build insane workflows around quirks.
dpinckard

Post by dpinckard »

s55: Now I'm confused :) I don't get the reference to "Send File To" and I probably should have started my own thread, but olliemac's original post seemed to related to what I was seeing.

Here's my workflow. I apologize for over-explaining

I like to rip my TV series DVD to my Plex Media Server. Plex works best if files are named like "Show Name - SxxExx - Episode Name.ext" Show and episode names must match results from thetvdb.com.

I will copy the complete list of episodes from thetvdb.com and, using my text editor, use several RegEx replaces to reformat the list to a shell script to touch files with the correctly formatted names, thus pre-creating the files. Very quick and I don't have to manually type the names, potentially introducing errors.

Prior to v1.1, I would select an episode to encode then select the output file by selecting the zero length file. Again very quick and no manual typing. Add to the queue and start encoding.

Now with v1.1, I can select the path for the output file, but I have to manually enter the filename. Evening copying the file name from Finder and pasting involves switching between multiple windows and additional clicks/keystrokes to accomplish the same results.

Just a user whining about change :). If possible, I would like to see the old behavior of selecting a filename added back.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

I think you'd be better off using the CLI and a shell script to iterate through the videos. HB GUI is angry spaghetti on a good day, with the CLI it's easy to see that all your settings are what you want for each video.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

My understanding is that the split name/directory controls are necessary for sandboxing, which is something we've worked toward and aren't ready to abandon at this time.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Surely you could just encode your files THEN use your script to rename them.