Naming of audio tracks changing during MKV transcode

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
DrewM

Naming of audio tracks changing during MKV transcode

Post by DrewM »

I'm currently compressing MKV files from BluRay (made on MakeMKV) into more digestible sizes, and am finding that (at least according to VLC) audio files meant to just pass through during the HB transcode are being changed, or just renamed (not sure which).

For example, when I want to pass through a 5.1 DTS signal to a new file (with "DTS passthrough" specified under "Audio"), VLC sees the new file as just "Surround", whereas in the original file it was designated as "Surround 5.1".

Two questions: Is there an explanation for this, and is the track actually being changed?

OK, three questions. Is there a way that the original designation ("Surround 5.1") can be carried through to the new file?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Naming of audio tracks changing during MKV transcode

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
DrewM

Post by DrewM »

Would you mind posting that link one more time? It got cut off in your post somehow.

Thanks.
DrewM

Post by DrewM »

Never mind...found the link. Will post logs shortly.
DrewM

Post by DrewM »

Wasn't sure if I should post here or just give you a link to the file, so I put the link below. Let me know if I should post the content here directly.

Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xraf0b07l8a0u ... 3.txt?dl=0
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Please be aware, this forum is not for support or help related to HandBrake. Please keep such discussions to the Community Support forum sections.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Moved to Mac support forum.

As far as I know, this metadata is not preserved. If you want, you can use Subler to edit/apply track names and other data after the initial encode.