handbrake reducing storage size of video

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
julien650

handbrake reducing storage size of video

Post by julien650 »

Description of problem or question

I exported a ProRes file from Premiere Pro. The resolution size of the video is 1280 x 720.

When I open handbrake and select the video file as the source, I then select General -> Fast 720p30.
On the Picture tab, the Storage Size shows 706 x 604. I've tried all sorts of things to change it manually - changing the Anamorphic value and the Modulus value, change the Display Size, and it continues to change itself back to 706 x 604.

I've been using Handbrake for years and I've never had this problem. I assume it has something to do with how the source file is created, but I don't know how to solve it.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable)

I've tried it on two different machines and still have the same trouble.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0)

version 1.0.7

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.3 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update)

On one machine, the op systems is OS X El Capitan, v. 10.11.6

On the other machine, the op system is macOS Sierra, v. 10.12.3

Error message text or screenshot (If Applicable)

n/a

Provide a URL from any image hosting site.

n/a

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Log: https://pastebin.com/6gH5dhG4

Thanks for your help.

Julie
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: handbrake reducing storage size of video

Post by rollin_eng »

Set your cropping to 0.
julien650

Re: handbrake reducing storage size of video

Post by julien650 »

Thanks for the suggestion.

After setting the cropping to 0, I also had to set the Anamorphic value to 'Off' and set the Storage Size to 1280x720, thus letting Handbrake set the Display Size as 1280x720.

I thought I'd tried that yesterday, but just managed to miss the one combination that worked. Thanks again for your help.