Some new DVDs don't rip on Mac

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
bripperhand

Some new DVDs don't rip on Mac

Post by bripperhand »

problem:

Some new DVD's don't rip

Steps to reproduce the problem:

I play dvd on mac and get correct title
I then scan only that title in handbrake and select it
then I start handbrake
It runs for 2 seconds says it is finished and file is o bytes

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0)

Version 1.0.7 (2017040900)
Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.3 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update)

Mac High sierra 10.13.1
with home brew and libdvdcss 1.4.0 installed

Anyone else seeing this? Any work arounds . Is something changing with encryption.

Not all new DVD's do this?

Thanks
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Some new DVDs don't rip on Mac

Post by Woodstock »

Using third-party add-ons to enable decryption is not supported here, in large part because there are many things that can break it, and even when it works, it cannot rip all sources (copy protection schemes change rapidly), and has very little in the way of information when it encounters dirty or damaged disks.

The dedicated rippers like MakeMKV and similar detect/decode more copy protection schemes, and generate files that work well with handbrake.
rwoolley

Post by rwoolley »

I got a message about disk copy protection when I first loaded the dvd source into Handbrake. On subsequent tries I didn't get the warning, however, my encoded .m4v files were approx 3GB and useless for viewing, just pixilated garbage.

Here's my Activity log on dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5yydsts3wun5 ... 8.txt?dl=0
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Try ripping with makemkv first then encode with HB.
rwoolley

Post by rwoolley »

That worked. Thanks.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

There is no guarantee that MakeMKV or any other free standing ripping app will work, they fail at times as well. Make sure the disc is clean and scratch free, install the latest version of Handbrake and anything else associated with it, reboot and try again, it might work lol