Can HandBrake automatically set the sample rate and bitrate of audio tracks to match the source?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ProxyCell

Can HandBrake automatically set the sample rate and bitrate of audio tracks to match the source?

Post by ProxyCell »

Description of problem or question
I have to convert a large number of videos that are from different sources. Their audio tracks are all using different encodings as well.
Can I setup a preset that will make HB determine the sample rate and bitrate and then just match whatever the source was?

HandBrake version
1.0.7 (Mac and CLI)

Operating system and version
macOS 10.13.2 High Sierra

Note: I'm not sure if this is the right board for this question but I didn't want to drop it into the General section either...
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Can HandBrake automatically set the sample rate and bitrate of audio tracks to match the source?

Post by Woodstock »

Tricky question - different encoders need different bit rates for the same quality. Are you sure you want what you're asking for?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Can HandBrake automatically set the sample rate and bitrate of audio tracks to match the source?

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Samplerate: yes
Bitraterate: no, because it's a bad idea
ProxyCell

Post by ProxyCell »

Thank you both Woodstock and JohnAStebbins - I'm curious why I shouldn't just re-use the same bitrate. I have been doing that for my entire life and I figured it was appropriate.

Is there some kind of conversion scale I should use when going from a 192kbit mp3 to AAC or HE-AAC?
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Each generation of encoding introduces additional losses. There is no relationship between input and output bit rate, other than lossy input generally requires higher quality output to avoid compounding the generational loss. A higher quality source is more compressible with fewer losses.

That said, use what sounds fine to you.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

And passthrough whenever possible.
ProxyCell

Post by ProxyCell »

Thank you both!

The reason this has come up is I have a few thousand videos to be encoded and they are running mp3 audio tracks - something which we can't use in our streams. So we have to switch over to AAC and I was just thinking about what would be most optimal for the lossy-to-lossy transcoding.

Since they are from difference sources there are a lot of different encodings used. Some are already in AAC and those are being done in a passthrough preset.