Problem with Encoding Region 2 DVD's

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Brandonshire

Problem with Encoding Region 2 DVD's

Post by Brandonshire »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:

I have a set of region 2 DVD's, of Monty Python's Flying Circus (a boxed set of all the episodes, plus most of the movies, though I'm only haveing troube with the TV show episodes, the movie that I ripped from this set ripped just fine) that I"m trying to rip all the episodes from. The first disc seems to work ok, but every other disc gives Handbreak real problems. I've ripped the entire discs as ISOs using Mac DVD Ripper Pro, and when I do that, the rips I get from handbrake have all kinds of issues, though mostly little sections of the video and audio will repeat or play out of order, and generally just look like some sort of avant-garde student film.

When I rip the discs first using RipIt, which gives me Video_TS folders in a .dvdmedia wrapper, handbrake can rip the episodes just fine but every one of them starts with 10 to 15 seconds of blank video and audio for some reason. VLC will play these correctly, but when I try to play them through Plex I end up with 10 to 15 seconds of black screen with the audio playing over it and then out of sync audio once the video starts. Sometimes if I pause and ff or rw the video it'll sync itself back up but not always, or I'll get an error after a minute or so and then when I get it playing again the video and audio will be in sync.

I should add that I'm doing these rips in h.265, to save space, though I'm getting the same issues when I rip in h.264. I've never run into these issues with any other DVD's, just these ones.

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of OSX are you running. etc.

I'm using the current version of Handbrake, 1.07, though I have also tried with recent nightly builds. I am running Mac OS Sierra, 10.12.6.

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:

I have not gotten any errors from Handbrake while doing these rips.

Please include the scan or encode log:

The log below is for an encode from an iso made by Mac DVD Ripper Pro. I'll follow up with a log from a rip from the Ripit rip (as outlined above)

(Log too long, posted at Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/ZwEXPqHs
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Problem with Encoding Region 2 DVD's

Post by rollin_eng »

Try ripping with makemkv first.
Brandonshire

Post by Brandonshire »

Here is the second log, from an attempted encoding from the RipIt Rip (which is again a Video_TS folder in a .dvdmedia wrapper) https://pastebin.com/cnB2k1VZ
Brandonshire

Post by Brandonshire »

rollin_eng wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:20 am Try ripping with makemkv first.
Thanks for the reply. I haven't ever really used MakeMKV for DVD's since I had my ripping workflow worked out before I started using it. I use it for Blue Rays, but haven't used it for DVD's becuase it doesn't have a full disc backup option for DVD's. I had always assumed that the MKV's it would make of each title would be in a lossy format of some sort like h.264. But now that I'm looking I'm seeing that may not be a safe assumption? If I rip the DVD using MakeMKV will it give me MKV's with the original mpeg2 video inside that I can then use Handbrake to convert? I dont' want to convert it to a lossy format and then convert it again to another one. The documentation on the MakeMKV site... leaves something to be desired for the new user trying to sort all of this out.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The MKVs created by MakeMKV are direct copies of the tracks on the disk - That's why it is so much faster at reading DVDs and BDs than handbrake.

The MKV files work very well as input to handbrake.

As for region information, MakeMKV will try to "brute force" read "out of region" disks, rather than require the drive to change its region setting. I'm not sure if the third-party library you're using for DVD reading in handbrake is that aggressive. So far, I have not had MakeMKV be unable to read any disk, but some drives can refuse to allow the brute-force method. Maybe I'll dig out one of my Japanese market DVDs and see if handbrake can read it.
Brandonshire

Post by Brandonshire »

Thanks! I hadn't realized it was an exact copy of the tracks on the disk. That's good to know!

I actually have a second DVD drive that I've been using for these Region 2 DVD's (that is set to region 2), so the region encoding shouldn't be an issue from that end. I mostly mentioned that they're region 2 in case soemtning about the structure of region 2 dvd's (even once the copy protection has been defeated) could be causing problems for Handbrake (didn't' seem likely but it seems worth mentioning).

Anyway when I get home from work I'll try to do a MakeMKV rip of one of the problem disks and see how it goes from there! Thanks for the help!
Brandonshire

Post by Brandonshire »

Good news, at least so far that seems have done it! I wish I'd realized that about MakeMKV a while back. Would have saved me a lot of trouble!

Thank you so much for your help. If I run into any other problems I'll post again!