Unable to create preset with auto-pass through all audio tracks

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hongkonghero

Unable to create preset with auto-pass through all audio tracks

Post by hongkonghero »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:
When I try to create a preset that loads all audio (or just English), I select auto-passthrough for all tracks. When I open a source, it displays no audio tracks and each needs to manually be added.

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of OSX are you running. etc.
Handbrake 1.0.7 - MacOS 10.12.6

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:
None

Please include the scan or encode log:
N/A - encode works successfully, issue only with creating preset

Code: Select all

Paste a log of the scan or encode between these code brackets, or use a pastebin website and provide us with the URL it gives you. 
 Logs are required for all support requests.
N/A
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Unable to create preset with auto-pass through all audio tracks

Post by mduell »

Activity Log is required for support requests. See Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums for details
alex_sisk

Post by alex_sisk »

This has perplexed me for months - it used to work!

Now, if Selection Behavior is set to Track 1 - Auto Passthru, you must select a Mixdown option that is not necessarily relevant. If you choose 5.1, you will lose 2 channels from a 7.1 track. And what if you choose 7.1, but the audio track has 5.1 channels? Are you then defining 5.1 tracks as 7.1 in the metadata? (It's not clear.)

Even if MIxdown = 7.1 does just pass through 5.1 tracks untouched, you're still forced to choose a bitrate between 56 and 960. This means compressing uncompressed audio formats like DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD.

I don't understand why this changed when it worked perfectly a while back. (I can't remember exactly when, but I think it was pre-1.0.)

I know exactly what you're talking about, hongkonghero.

HandBrake team - I understand that you require a log for looking into bugs, etc. But this is regarding removal of a feature. (The feature was there many versions ago!), and hongkonghero is wondering why the feature was removed, just as I have been for months! (That's why I came to the forum tonight, and I was not surprised to see this thread right at the top.)
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The mixdown and bitrate apply to the fallback encoder, for when the input track can't be passed through. It used to be that the default mixdown and bitrate were always used when falling back, but now you can control it.
alex_sisk

Post by alex_sisk »

I see. That explains it. I'll put that into practice right away. Thank you.