Audio gets out of sync after a few uses

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ErnaSheree

Audio gets out of sync after a few uses

Post by ErnaSheree »

Hi there,

I'm trying to compress videos on my Mac using HB. After compressing four or five videos, I noticed that the fifth one has audio issues. Toward the end of the video, the audio is out of sync with the video.

Each when I do is about 30 minutes long. They are screen recordings through QuickTime.

I'm running version 0.10.5 x86_64 of HB on OS X Seirra 10.12.6. I downloaded the updated version of HB, but it was going impossibly slow with the exact same results. I also tried clicking selecting constant frame rate and the average bit rate option. Still having audio/visual sync issues.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

EDIT: I wasn't sure if Activity logs would be helpful, but I pasted one for an out of sync job and one for a job that came out fine. It's 2 responses down after a kind commenter showed me where to find the info.

ErnaSheree
Last edited by ErnaSheree on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Audio gets out of sync after a few uses

Post by JohnAStebbins »

ErnaSheree wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:36 pm (Also I don't know what a scan or encode log is. So if that information is helpful, would you mind telling me how to find it?)
Umm, follow the link in the red box at the top of the page that says "Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums"
ErnaSheree

Post by ErnaSheree »

Thanks so much! I saw some posts without it with lots of answers so I wasn't sure if it was useful. Doing it now...
ErnaSheree

Post by ErnaSheree »

Here is the Activity Log for an out of sync job: https://pastebin.com/TKdTDyMN

Here's one that came out fine: https://pastebin.com/cL7v30Cs

Any ideas as to why the audio gets so messed up? I appreciate your help.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

You are using a very old version of HandBrake. There are no obvious errors in the log that would indicate loss of sync, but newer HandBrake versions have improved A/V sync code.

Are you certain the source video is synchronized all the way through? What are you using for playback? You might want to try other players to see if the problem is related to the particular player you are using.

Also, you are using different encoder settings between the one that is in sync and the one that is not. You used video encoder preset "veryfast" for the one that is in sync and "medium" for the one that is not. Some players don't handle certain encoder features correctly which results in a variety of weirdness. So you might want to try using the exact same settings as the one that was in sync.
ErnaSheree

Post by ErnaSheree »

Ok, I'll try the different encoder setting this evening. I'm using QT to record and to play. I'll try a different player to see if there's a difference.

What does it mean to have a source video synchronized all the way through? (I'm sure novices are annoying on this site, but I appreciate your help very much.)
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

John probably is asking if, when you play the source video, does the audio stay in sync from start to finish, or does it get out of sync like the encoded video.

Also, since the source files both had AAC audio, do you get a different result if you simply pass the original audio through, rather than re-encoding it?
ErnaSheree

Post by ErnaSheree »

The source videos do play normal from start to finish.

I am going to google how to pass the original audio through instead of re-encoding, and I'll be able to answer that. And thank you.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Selecting "Auto Passthru" for the track in the Audio screen will pass the audio through untouched, as long as it is a codec that allows pass through.

AAC, AC3, E-AC3, DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD, and MP3 can be passed through to MP4 files. MKV files can have one or two more.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Woodstock wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:37 pm Selecting "Auto Passthru" for the track in the Audio screen will pass the audio through untouched, as long as it is a codec that allows pass through.

AAC, AC3, E-AC3, DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD, and MP3 can be passed through to MP4 files. MKV files can have one or two more.
No, we cannot pass E-AC3 nor TrueHD through to MP4…
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

No, we cannot pass E-AC3 nor TrueHD through to MP4…
I was basing my statement on the fact that the Windows GUI offers both as possible pass through types with "MP4" selected, and "FLAC Passthru" is added if you change to MKV for the output format.

I don't have a nightly installed to see if that has been fixed yet.
ErnaSheree

Post by ErnaSheree »

So, after Googling but before seeing your helpful reply, Woodstock, I selected AAC Passthru and it was still out of sync. I just selected Auto Passthru and the same thing happened.

I would download the newest version again but the same thing happened. Also, it went so very slow. May try it anyway b/c I'm not sure what else to do.
ErnaSheree

Post by ErnaSheree »

Nope. The update has the same issue. I wonder if I've encoded too many videos...
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs from the latest version , instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Or maybe your has got more than one edit list, a feature of mov/mp4 HandBrake doesn't fully support. Can you paste the output of this? https://subler.org/downloads/MP4Dump.zip
ErnaSheree

Post by ErnaSheree »

Here's the log. Working on the second thing.

https://pastebin.com/gH1Vs1bk
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

ErnaSheree wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:46 pm Here's the log. Working on the second thing.

https://pastebin.com/gH1Vs1bk
That's not the latest version your using.
ErnaSheree

Post by ErnaSheree »

I know, ugh, but the latest version does the same thing, only much slower. Here's a log from one done on the newest version... https://pastebin.com/nmhccqjn

Edit: And I read that wrong. I thought you were asking for the lasted video I encoded.
Last edited by ErnaSheree on Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ErnaSheree

Post by ErnaSheree »

Ritsuka, but the first 20 or 30 of these half hour videos I've encoded came out fine. Not to mention all the movies over the last few years.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

It takes ten second to check that, so we can make sure the issue is elsewhere. Either that, or upload the whole file somewhere so we can test it.
ErnaSheree

Post by ErnaSheree »

Ok, thank you. Please let me know if this isn't the correct information. https://pastebin.com/gv5R9wS0

It's one of the many out of sync videos.
Lodee

Post by Lodee »

Same here, I confirm - often audio gets out of sync. Handbrake Version 1.0.7 (2017040900) OSX.
Tried with older version 0.10.2 x86_64 (2015061100) - and it was OK.