How to process all files in the queue without stopping?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
grok

How to process all files in the queue without stopping?

Post by grok »

When I load a bunch of files into the queue and click the start button Handbrake always stops after each file and I have to click Start again. Is there a way to just have it process the entire queue?

Handbrake 1.0.7, macOS 10.12.6
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: How to process all files in the queue without stopping?

Post by Woodstock »

Did you click on the "Start" in the queue manager, or on the main application window?

Working continuously through the queue should be working if you do it in the queue manager window. The main application windows button is "start encode on the current file".
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

On Mac, the Start button changes to Start Queue if there are queued jobs.
grok

Post by grok »

Thanks Woodstock and Bradley. Now I know how to do it.
Palestrina

Post by Palestrina »

Since I upgraded to High Sierra, I am encountering the same problem. It doesn't matter whether I click on the "Start" button in the queue manager or in the main application window (it didn't matter before the upgrade either - it just worked). At first, I thought this was due to the fact that High Sierra defaulted the settings to save energy to "shut down monitor after 15min". However, I re-set it to "never" but it didn't make a difference. Is there anyone else having the same problem?
Palestrina

Post by Palestrina »

I have made three additional observations:

1. Usually, Handbrake stops after it has encoded a file. When I log into my account, Handbrake automatically starts encoding the next file. I don't have to push a button.
2. Strangely, sometimes it works and Handbrake encodes all files in a queue. I don't know why.
3. Handbrake either encodes all files in a queue or one file at a time. It does not happen that Handbrake e.g. encodes the first three files and then stops.

Does anyone have a clue what I do wrong?

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13, Handbrake 1.0.7, Mac Mini (headless)
Palestrina

Post by Palestrina »

Ok, I have absolutely no clue. Here is how it used to work before High Sierra: My Mac Mini is used headless, I access it via screen sharing with my MacBook Pro. Handbrake is installed on my Mac Mini. My usual workflow was: I logged in via screen sharing, created a queue, clicked "start queue", disabled screen sharing and waited until the queue was done. After that, I logged in again. I could also log in while a queue was in process.
Since the upgrade, in 9 out of 10 cases, the queue stops after the first file has been encoded. In the remaining 10 % of cases, the queue either stops after it has encoded the first (or any other file) or every file is encoded. Nothing I do seems to have a lasting influence, and even if something works, I cannot reproduce the result. I even bought and activated the app "Theine" to no effect (I wanted to sort out that the Mac Mini miraculously falls into sleep mode after a file). The only thing that "works" is to power up my MacBook Pro and start screen sharing. I do not even have to log into my Mac Mini, it is enough to access the screen where you enter your account credentials. However, that means I manually have to re-start the queue which defeats the purpose of a queue. It also means my Mac Mini seems to need an external bump to continue its work.
The other thing I noticed is that if I start screen sharing when a queue is being encoded and it seemingly works, the process of starting screen sharing seems to "break the spell", i.e. after the then current file, Handbrake stops.

Here are my options to save energy on my Mac Mini (these are translations but you should get the idea):

(the slide bar) Shut down monitor: never
(the first check box) automatically disable to activate sleep mode if monitor is shut down: activated
-> all other check boxes are un-checked

The only workaround I as an amateur user can come up with is to have my MacBook Pro start screen sharing at a regular interval. However, I have no clue how I can do this when the MacBook Pro is in its sleep mode as well (I assume sleep mode will also prevent that the MacBook Pro holds connection the my Mac mini indefinitely).
Palestrina

Post by Palestrina »

It's time for an update. I took my old MacBook Pro, enabled screen sharing and chose the energy savings option "never sleep" for both CPU and the screen. Afterwards, I accessed my Mac Mini and started a queue. Since the MacBook Pro would hold connection to the Mac Mini indefinitely, the quere would not stop. That's at least what I thought. Interestingly, it worked halfway. The longest queue I could mange lasted for 72 hours, and I frequently was able to have several files encoded at once. But I never achieved the goal that a complete queue was encoded.
And then, all of a sudden, it worked. I really don't know what happened, and I certainly did not change anything. Neither did I update anything. However, from one day to another, all queues would work flawlessly.
Yesterday, I upgraded MacOS to 10.13.3, and now my queue has stopped working after the first file. It seems that I am back at square one.