Transcoded mov->mp4 won't place onto Premiere Pro timeline properly

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
tim_au

Transcoded mov->mp4 won't place onto Premiere Pro timeline properly

Post by tim_au »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:
Hi all, first post, I apologise if I haven't done this right! Have checked the forums and searched on Google first.

So, I am using Premiere Pro CS5 for video editing. I am taking movies recorded on an iPhone SE, running iOS 10.3.3, using Filmic Pro (latest).

Videos are VFR, but set for 24/30fps.

I am trying to downsize the videos in HB first, then work with these. I do this as I can typically downsize the raw 1080p or 2K video by a factor of 10 with no appreciable loss in quality, thus saving a lot of HDD on my 2009 iMac.

The issue I have is that regardless of whether I use .m4v or .m4v videos exported from HB, when the video is placed on the timeline in PP, its length is tiny (like 1 frame).

Here are the basic settings I use in HB

Codec H264
FPS: same as source
VFR
RF 14.25
Anamorphic: loose/2
Slow(2) encode
Tune film, Profile auto, 4.1

It seems like if I export from QT first (from mov to mov), and then transcode to mp4 in HB, it'll work in PP. What I am wondering is how can I skip the step in QT and downsize/transcode from an iPhone SE .mov with VFR to something Premiere Pro can work with?

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of OSX are you running. etc.
HB v 0.10.5, OSX Mac osSierra

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:
N/A

Please include the scan or encode log:

https://pastebin.com/Xu3gMFDe
BradleyS

Re: Transcoded mov->mp4 won't place onto Premiere Pro timeline properly

Post by BradleyS »

Generally speaking, Premiere doesn't like variable frame rate video. You can use CFR and Same As Source for better compatibility with most editors.

HandBrake 0.10.5 is deprecated. You should download 1.0.7 here: https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

If you want to try out the new Production presets, which are geared for creating intermediate encodes for editing, try a nightly build from here: https://handbrake.fr/nightly.php
tim_au

Re: Transcoded mov->mp4 won't place onto Premiere Pro timeline properly

Post by tim_au »

Thanks Brad.
I've downloaded the latest v and looked at the new presets.

I think it would be extremely awesome if one of the included presets was a Premiere Pro-friendly preset.

In any case, what I ended up doing was interpreting the footage to a fixed FR (24/30) which seems to end up with the same video length (in frames) as the raw source.

I'll give CFR and SAS a try tonight.

Thanks for your help for what must seem a simple issue (and not specifically a HB issue).