Can't override previous settings

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Lorccan

Can't override previous settings

Post by Lorccan »

Mac GUI won't let me add Foreign Audio Search (Bitmap) subtitles
macOS Sierra 10.12.6 / Handbrake 1.0.7[/b]

I converted a directory of .mkv files to .m4v using the Apple 1080p60 Surround preset and I deselected the Foreign Audio Search setting in Subtitles. I later realised that I needed this setting ON, so I deleted all of the previously converted files and tried to start over. However, when I make the correct subtitle selection, this is NOT reflected in the pending encodes queue.

In case something was cached from the previous attempt, I tried renaming the input files (keeping the extension) and also removing the directory from File>Recents, but I still can't get it to do what I need.

Any ideas please?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Can't override previous settings

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Audio and subtitles track selection can be changed in the "configure defaults" panel. The manual changes you make in the audio and subtitles lists are not saved in the presets.
Lorccan

Post by Lorccan »

I am waiting for the previous queue to finish, then I'll post the logs when I try to restart the conversions.

@Ritsuka: I am not expecting the preset to be updated, but for the change to be applied just for the selected set (folder|directory) of files when they are added to the queue. I did look at the configure defaults panel and this seems be set correctly. Let's see what happens when I have a chance to quit the app and start over. I'll post back.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

When adding multiple items to the queue, the settings saved in the preset are what are used.

Note that in the nightly build we changed the control labeled Configure Defaults to Selection Behavior for clarity.
Lorccan

Post by Lorccan »

@BradleyS. That's strange as I am sure that I have done the following previously: selected a directory, selected a preset, modified the subtitles setting, added all the titles to the queue. This has worked how I wanted it to happen. However, I confirm that this is not now happening. (It's working as you describe.) So the only way that I can now get all the files in a directory to work is to add them one-by-one after setting the subtitle for each.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Lorccan wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:16 pmSo the only way that I can now get all the files in a directory to work is to add them one-by-one after setting the subtitle for each.
Or, you can modify the Selection Behavior to produce the result you want, and save that as a custom preset. Then you can select the preset and add all titles to the queue.
Lorccan

Post by Lorccan »

I've tried selecting '+' in the presets pane, doing Edit Defaults next to Subtitles: in the dialog and saving it under a new name, but the foreign language search is still being ignored. (Not sure if I am supposed to see the subtitles setting change under Subtitles in the main pane when this custom preset is selected, but it's not changing.) Any idea why?
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Difficult to say without following your workflow exactly. There is an "add foreign language search" or similar in the Edit Defaults that should be selected.