Incorrect Aspect Ratio

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Abacus

Incorrect Aspect Ratio

Post by Abacus »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:
Ripping from a DVD recorder produces 'wrong' aspect ratio. IE not 16:9 Need to get the correct settings.

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of OSX are you running. etc.
HB 1.07 Mac OSX 10.12.6

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:
None although therre was a reference to being unable to RIP encrypted DVDs. Since it's from a PVR this shouldn't apply

Please include the scan or encode log:

Activity log scan here: https://pastebin.com/uVw12Shh
BradleyS

Re: Incorrect Aspect Ratio

Post by BradleyS »

DVD recorders are known to produce mastering errors like this. You should be able to correct the aspect using custom anamorphic with a display width of around 1024.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

OK thanks. I'll give that a try. This would be in: Picture -> Display Size. Would I would also need to uncheck 'keep aspect ratio' since it would be custom anamorphic?
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

You can do that.

I may have misread your intentions initially; you'll want a display width of around 768 to create 4:3 aspect.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Thanks for the help. As suggested I input the display width as 1020 with custom anamorphic which appears to have worked OK. At least there's no obvious anomalies.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

The math is actually pretty simple. Divide the storage height by the denominator (second number) of your intended aspect and multiply by the numerator (first number). So, for anamorphic video stored as 720x576 (PAL DVD), 576/3*4 == 768 display width for 4:3, or 576/9*16 == 1024 display width for 16:9. Replace 576 with 480 for NTSC DVD.

Glad you got it working. :D