Do I have to rip for different machines?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
JUSTINSIDETHEDOOR

Do I have to rip for different machines?

Post by JUSTINSIDETHEDOOR »

Hi

This is all new to me, and I have looked at the how to guides but can't find an answer.
If I rip a dvd in Normal mode, do I have to re rip it agin for either an iPod or PSP? or can I just convert it from the original rip?

Thanks

Paul
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

You can convert it, but not with HandBrake, and not without quality loss. Generally the choices come down to a) rip for each device separately - you'll get the best possible per-device results at the expense of time and effort, or b) rip for the lowest common denominator - you'll only have to do it once but will suffer from poorer quality on more capable devices.

Rodney
JUSTINSIDETHEDOOR

Post by JUSTINSIDETHEDOOR »

Rodney

Thanks.

Also I have a couple of DVDs that only copy the opening screen, like the Universal logo, then it says its done. Any ideas?

Cheers

paul
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

DJRobNM

Post by DJRobNM »

I tried to ask this and got locked. I can't get the files that handbrake produces to work on both an ipod touch and psp, regardless of quality. I've searched it out on the forum to no avail.

The presets for both show a difference in encoders (mpeg4 vs. h.264) but latest firmware psp (3.30+) can do both.

The resolution presets show ipod touch at 480w and psp at 368w 208h but the latest psp firmware can do 480w 272h.

Everything else is the same (with the exception of slightly increased bitrates for psp).

This isn't a quality question, it's a how do I get them to work question.
I've tried renaming the files to fit every psp convention I can come up with.