Outputting to avi rather than mp4 or mkv

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jim0203

Outputting to avi rather than mp4 or mkv

Post by jim0203 »

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question: I've looked around in all the usual places, and can't find an answer.

I watch movies on my PlayStation 4, and the PlayStation 4 media player has a weird bug with mp4 and mkv files whereby the audio and video can slip out of sync.

I'm therefore trying to find a way to get Handbrake to output video to avi files. I've seen various comments online that suggest that Handbrake can (or could) do this, but I can't work out how to do it.

Can anyone suggest how I might get HandBrake to output avi files? Alternatively, is there another application that can do this?

Thanks!
BradleyS

Re: Outputting to avi rather than mp4 or mkv

Post by BradleyS »

HandBrake does not create AVI files. The format is extremely old and not designed for modern audio and video codecs.

Are you using HandBrake's Playstation preset? If it's not working for some reason, I am interested in an activity log for a problematic encode. I haven't had any sync issues myself.
jim0203

Post by jim0203 »

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I know that AVI is old, but it seems that other movie files often go out of sync on the PS4 so I thought I'd try a conversion to AVI (which always seems to work fine).

I'm using the Regular > High Profile preset. I can't see a PlayStation preset, is there somewhere I can download it? I've had a look around and can't find anywhere. It would be interesting to try to re-encode the file using that preset and to see if it fixes the sync problem: I currently suspect the issue is with the PlayStation rather than the file.

For the record, I'm going to try using FFMPEG to convert from MP4 to avi, so I'll see if that fixes the issue...
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Update to the latest version or a nightly build to get the newest presets.
jim0203

Post by jim0203 »

Thanks! I had installed handbrake with homebrew ages ago and only had a few presets; I just uninstalled and reinstalled with homebrew and now I have a load more presets, including the PlayStation ones.

I've just started the re-encode of the movie file using the PlayStation settings; I'll let you know if this fixed the sync problem.