Blyray support?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Tech198

Blyray support?

Post by Tech198 »

Does Handbrake support Blurray ?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Blyray support?

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake does not rip protected media. There are third party methods to allow it, but they are not supported here, because there are too many things that can be broken with them.

If you remove the protection with a ripping tool, then handbrake can handle BD files, either as unencrypted file structures (MakeMKV calls these "backups"), or as MKV files.

Popular ripping tools around here are MakeMKV and AnyDVD.
Tech198

Post by Tech198 »

Yes, i out by using MakeMkV....but since Handbrake supports output to .MKV i thought it would also support Blueray with files added to lib folder

eg... like the libdvd that u stick in /lib folder for Handbrake use for protected DVD... I found one for AACS as well and thought the lib folder would still be the right place along along with key file in the correct location, but looking at activity log Handbrake does not see AACS library... so i guess it does not support directly..

No wonder people use MakeMKV. Perhaps i'm doing something wrong. Thanks
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Kinda maybe sort of poorly in some version, but definitely not recommended.

Use MakeMKV to rip to a MKV file.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Bluray support?

Post by Woodstock »

There is allegedly a way to use MakeMKV to do the decryption "on the fly", so that handbrake can deal with BDs. I say allegedly, because some people have gotten it to work, and I did try it once, but...

If you are dealing with more than one disk per day, you are far better off to rip and encode separately. Ripping a full DVD or BD with MakeMKV takes far less time than encoding the files, so the part about changing disks is over much faster. Handbrake can then work without you having to hang around the computer. It's meaningless on 1 disk, but it is rare for me to not have 2+, even if I only get one title in a shipment.