PICTURE CROPPING

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
miklos

PICTURE CROPPING

Post by miklos »

I am using HANDBRAKE 0.10.5 x86_64 with a Mac OS 10.6.8

I have recently started to transfer MKV copies of some of my Blue Ray discs using HANDBRAKE over to mp4s for use elsewhere.

Most of the copies have been excellent, however lately I have started to encounter Picture Cropping which randomly affects certain transfers.

Most of the Picture Frames are 1920x1080p at Source - but instead of showing a 0:0:0:0 Automatic Cropping - I am getting really odd readings such as 26:116:6:12. From the same BR disc last night, with a 1920x1080p playback from the BR disc, I got 2 different readings in HANDBRAKE for the Main Feature and a Special Features Doc. Although both showed the Source as 1920x1080p, the cropping on Automatic were 0:0:0:0 for the Special Features and a severely cropped screen for the Main Movie (4:76:26:2) which makes no sense.
I am using MakeMKV to generate the mkv files and opening the cropped mkv file (Main Movie) via VLC showed a full 1920x1080p screen (no cropping).
Any explanations?

When I adjusted the cropping on the affected Main Movie via Custom Cropping to read 0:0:0:0 it resulted in a perfect transfer.
It would be nice not to have to do this for every BR that I copy via HANDBRAKE.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: PICTURE CROPPING

Post by rollin_eng »

Can you update to the latest version if possible and post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

You can:

1) set up your desired settings (including cropping manual 0:0:0:0), then create a new custom preset, and finally set said custom preset as the default preset

OR

2) increase the number of previews in HandBrake's preferences, usually with 30 previews weird autocrop values are much less common

…or you can do both.
miklos

Post by miklos »

Thanks for the above replies.

As far as I know I am already using the "latest" version of HANDBRAKE that I can use on OS 10.6.8 with my version of Java, etc.
I will try to set up a custom preset as suggested by Rodeo - that should take out the manual re-adjustment each time I introduce a new BR disc.

I did a quick test of the increase in the number of Previews - it didn't sort it out but seemed to bring the left & right cropping back to "0" setting. The default seemed to be "10" - what is the advantage (or not) of adjusting the number of Previews?

PS - I copied "Rogue One" on BR last evening (which is slightly letterboxed) and the automatic cropping worked as per the original disc without ant adjustments on my part to the HANDBRAKE settings - hmmmmmm, go figure!

Cheers.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

More previews generally produce more accurate autocrop results, but make the scan take a bit longer particularly with physical disks with lots of titles.