Mac h.265 10-bit

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
RojaN

Mac h.265 10-bit

Post by RojaN »

As the title suggests, I would like to encode some video files that are 10-bit and preserve the color information without going down to 8-bit. My reading of the docs indicates that this feature is not in the released versions, you have to install a nightly build and install optional dll's.

It also appears that nightly builds are not currently offered on the Mac side, nor do the archives seem to include nightlies. I don't know how long it's been since there was a Mac nightly or if the dll's required will play nice with the old builds.

Obviously this is a "pre qualification" so there are no relevant logs, but my system FWIW is a MacPro 3,1 with 16GB RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB. I'm running Yosemite OS X 10.10.5, Handbrake is 1.0.7. My media is 10 bit ProRes(HQ) NTSC 23.976p.

Thanks in advance.
BradleyS

Re: Mac h.265 10-bit

Post by BradleyS »

Unfortunately, HandBrake's pipeline is 8-bit 4:2:0. So while it's possible to encode 10-bit with the right libraries, it's not possible to preserve 10-bit end-to-end.

For now you'll need another tool. No ETA on full support.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

RojaN wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 1:07 amObviously this is a "pre qualification" so there are no relevant logs
BS as usual, logs would verify several of the claims you make in your post.
RojaN

Post by RojaN »

BradleyS wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 7:40 am Unfortunately, HandBrake's pipeline is 8-bit 4:2:0. So while it's possible to encode 10-bit with the right libraries, it's not possible to preserve 10-bit end-to-end.

For now you'll need another tool. No ETA on full support.
Thank you. Guess I'm spending $$ for now on this. Handbrake remains great otherwise!

mduell: Not sure what the relevance of any of my stated specs would be given the situation, if that's what I'm supposedly "claiming." If I misrepresented my specs or my source file, how would that help me or hurt anyone? If I had processed a file and was troubleshooting that, I would of course provide a log.
Reading online showed me that if you have the requisite setup, there is a distinct menu item that becomes available for 10-bit. Since it wasn't there, I didn't attempt a 10-bit output. So nothing to log but my system specs. I made an assessment of the situation in good faith, and saw the logs as irrelevant to solving the problem. I wasn't trying to weasel out of anything. If "BS" is simply meant to indicate that you dispute my assessment, then it seems a bit overstated.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

RojaN wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 1:07 am ... My media is 10 bit ProRes(HQ) NTSC 23.976p...
Maybe a job for Apple Final Cut Pro X or Apple Compressor.