Converting mt2s to mp4 results in larger file size

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
aagrawal

Converting mt2s to mp4 results in larger file size

Post by aagrawal »

When I convert a mt2s video file to mp4 format and selecting frame rate to be 5 fps peak and web optimized checked, the resulting file size of mp4 file is 2x times the file size of the original mt2s file size which was unexpected due to the settings I chose.

The HandBrake version is 1.0.7.
The MAC OS is 10.11.6 (OS X El Capitan)

Sorry, I read about the guidelines but didn't really understand how to get the log of scan etc and include with this question/post.

Thank you in advance!
aagrawal

Re: Converting mt2s to mp4 results in larger file size

Post by aagrawal »

Hi @rollin_eng, I have now shared the Activity log file at https://www.dropbox.com/s/ds7w8v7u2f0pf ... 2.txt?dl=0

I am consistently getting mp4 file size to be almost two times or higher than the source m2ts file even when I use web optimized and 5 FPS settings. The videos are like screencasts with very little motion like in a webinar presentation.

Any help in resolving this issue is highly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Anil
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Your source file is already compressed a lot. Either choose a high RF setting, or a lower bitrate.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Also slowing your preset may get you better compression too.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

aagrawal wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:27 amI am consistently getting mp4 file size to be almost two times or higher than the source m2ts file even when I use web optimized
Web optimized has absolutely nothing to do with file size.