Copying a DVD to disk to use handbrake on the folder

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
keybounce

Copying a DVD to disk to use handbrake on the folder

Post by keybounce »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:

I want to copy the files off a DVD to disk so that I can use handbrake on the folder. For speed, for using DVD player software for games, etc.

Tell us about your environment. What version of HandBrake? What version of OSX are you running. etc.

Handbrake 1.0.7.
Libdvdread (shows up in VLC, handbrake, etc)
Libdvdcss (from macports, in /opt/local/lib)
libdvdnav (shows up in VLC, handbrake, etc)
VLC
MPlayerX
etc.

I have no problem playing DVD's.
I have several programs that are supposed to work fine with the video folder.
I have no problem turning the main feature into a file with handbrake, but at a speed limited by the drive for the most part

I am aware that this is not quite the design or job of Handbrake. This is more a question of "What software exists for the mac that can do this?". I did see various microsoft windows-based systems in the windows forum discussion.

Attempting to copy the files resulted in one of two behaviors:
1. On playback, the output is garbage (Even if the DVD itself could be read), or
2. On copy to local drive, IO errors happen.

EDIT: To clarify:
I'm aware that the files on the disk are encrypted. But since they can be decrypted in order to convert / playback, then there must be some way to copy the decrypted raw files to disk to work with. Right?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Copying a DVD to disk to use handbrake on the folder

Post by rollin_eng »

Try makemkv, it won't copy the files directly but it will create a mkv file from the disc that you can play or encode.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

DVDs are often made in a way to prevent doing what you are trying to do. Just use software that specifically creates DVD disc images to your hard drive/SSD, then you can use Handbrake on that image.

Creating a DVD image plus running it through Handbrake takes the same amount of time (or longer) as just running it through Handbrake, so it doesn't really seem to be worth the effort. If you have a DVD player that is unusually fast then maybe it could be worth the two step process.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Reading from a clean image on a local drive is typically more reliable than reading from an optical disc in more ways than one.
keybounce

Post by keybounce »

Ronin wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:39 pm DVDs are often made in a way to prevent doing what you are trying to do. Just use software that specifically creates DVD disc images to your hard drive/SSD, then you can use Handbrake on that image.
Alright, what should I use? "dd" gives me I/O errors.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

It sounds like your DVD is either dirty/scratched or uses "zero cells" as a type of copy protection.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You can tell dd to skip errors - it will fill the unreadable sectors with zeros - but that will mean any files occupying those sectors will not be properly converted by handbrake.

It's best to figure out WHY the sectors are not readable; cleaning is usually enough. Sometimes you might need to have the disk resurfaced for scratches.

(skipping over errors is a frequently suggested "enhancement" to ripping programs, but it doesn't do a lot of good)