Max input file?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
dhmiller

Max input file?

Post by dhmiller »

I have 12 1920 x 1080 uncompressed MOV files that I need to render into a single 1920 x 1080, H.264 file at 12500 kbps. I tried to compress each with Handbrake first then load them all into After Effects to render the file output file using 12500 kbps as the data rate limit limit and H.264, but AE apparently compressed them again somehow and the beautiful output from Handbrake I got from the original compression was completely hosed. So now I am going to try to put all the original uncompressed HD files into AE, render out a single uncompressed (hour long) file and use Handbrake to compress it to 1250 kbps. But that output from AE is going to be about 400 GB. Will Handbrake be able to handle that size a file for input? If not, does anyone have a better solution as to how to combine all the original files into a single compressed output file? Not sure what AE is doing to the files I give it, but the output is not acceptable and much worse than the Handbrake-compressed input files, which looks fine. I also need to add some credits as an overlay and do a fade in/out on each file so I can;t just use QT or some other app to string the original 12 into a sequence.. that;s why I'm using AE.
Thanks for any suggestions.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Max input file?

Post by rollin_eng »

I cant think of any reason a 400GB file wouldn't open, as long as its error free.
dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

Good stuff. As soon as I can get the uncompressed output from AE I will give it a try and report back. One single compression by HB would be the ideal solution.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Have you tried remuxing your mov files with a simple muxer (e.g. mkvmerge) rather than all the re-encoding with AE. Assuming all the input files have the same type of tracks in the same order and are all the same resolution, you can create one unified mkv file without re-encoding by

Code: Select all

mkvmerge -o out.mkv in1.mov + in2.mov + in3.mov
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

JohnAStebbins wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:53 pm Have you tried remuxing your mov files with a simple muxer (e.g. mkvmerge) rather than all the re-encoding with AE. Assuming all the input files have the same type of tracks in the same order and are all the same resolution, you can create one unified mkv file without re-encoding by

Code: Select all

mkvmerge -o out.mkv in1.mov + in2.mov + in3.mov
I guess you missed this part:
I also need to add some credits as an overlay and do a fade in/out on each file so I can;t just use QT or some other app to string the original 12 into a sequence.. that;s why I'm using AE.