How to set the storage size to the same as the display size in preset?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jackferrod

How to set the storage size to the same as the display size in preset?

Post by jackferrod »

Hi,

I've recently upgraded from Handbrake 0.9.x to 1.0.2. Because I was suffering from audio sync issues I'm currently using a nightly build (Feb 12) for Mac OSX.

This seems to work well, but there is one thing that I can't seem to figure out.
I want to encode my files in the same picture dimension as the original. So by default it says on the picture page:
Source 720x576, Anamorphic 1024 x 576
In the input fields it says:
Storage Size: 720x570 Display Size: 1024x570
This gives me a large output picture, but I want the original, so I want it to be:
Storage Size: 720x570 Display Size: 720x570
I can achieve this by clicking 'keep aspect ratio' off and back on again, but I can't seem to get this stored in a preset. Is there any way to do this?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: How to set the storage size to the same as the display size in preset?

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The source has a display size of 1024x576, not 720x576. DVDs are always encoded with the same storage resolution (720x576 for PAL, 720x480 for NTSC), the correct aspect ratio (16:9 or 4:3, depending on the disc) is obtained by adjusting the display size. What you're trying to do will make short persons look as tall as Kobe Bryant…
jackferrod

Post by jackferrod »

Thanks for explaining!
jackferrod

Post by jackferrod »

Actually thinking more about it - I click the 'keep aspect ratio' off and then back on so it should keep the ratio and in the generated videos the aspect ratio seems to be totally correct, but the nice side effect is that the generated mp4 file is a lot smaller than the one that is enlarged to the display size.

Basically what I'm looking for is a way to store this in a preset. The effect that you get by clicking the 'keep aspect ratio' radio button off and back on again...
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

You should post a log for the encode, so we can see what settings were used.