Newbie questions -ripping protected DVDs

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Break

Newbie questions -ripping protected DVDs

Post by Break »

I'm a little confused about what to do when trying to rip copy-protected DVDs. Some places I've read that Handbrake doesn't handle any of that, other places I've been told to install libdvdcss and place libdvdcss.2.dylib into /usr/local/lib/, then again I've read that Handbrake won't do copy-protected DVDs no matter what, so what's correct and how do people here make mp4 backups of their (copy protected) DVDs?

Actually I did follow the suggestions in the link above, downloading Libdvdcss 1.2.11 and placing it in the abovementioned directory but it apparently has no effect in Handbrake (1.0.2) on MacOSX 10.9.5. Mavericks.
Is this the expected result as it shouldn't work (strangely the discussion above says it works great), or have I done something wrong when installing?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Newbie questions -ripping protected DVDs

Post by mduell »

You should use an app intended to rip protected disks, like MakeMKV.

HB is not. It does work with libdvdcss, which will handle some disks, but not all of them, plus it doesn't handle error correction etc.
Break

Post by Break »

Thanks for clearing up things.
I've been using Ripit when I haven't been able to rip a DVD directly with Handbrake and so far it's worked with just about every DVD I've tried. But I was hoping there'd be a one-step solution using Handbrake instead.

I just downloaded MakeMKV although I do feel a bit uneasy about it by the looks of the website. Doesn't exactly seem trustworthy and I hope I haven't got the wrong site and instead installed some sort of malware or whatever :?
There was also a file named daspi_1.5.pkg which was not explained in the "readme" file, so I haven't installed it. Should I? There was no explanation in the site's FAQ nor its search function so I'm getting a little suspicious.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

RipIt is pretty [Censored].

That's the correct website. If MakeMKV works, you don't need daspi.
PReinie

Post by PReinie »

There are later versions of libdvdcss (up to 1.4 as of 20170211). Are the later versions just not needed?
Break

Post by Break »

That's the only version I could find which was compiled and ready for installing on the Mac platform.
HandBrakeBond

Post by HandBrakeBond »

I'm currently using Handbrake with the Libdvdcss addon with OS Yosemite but supposedly with MacOS Sierra Libdvdcss won't work without the solution posted here:

http://www.macworld.com/article/3169375 ... brake.html

Is that the only work around to use Libdvd on Sierra?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The author of MakeMKV says the daspi_1.5.pkg should only be installed if MakeMKV asks for it - it addresses some problems with some versions of OS X.
TheeMZ

Post by TheeMZ »

Just have to give a huge shout out and praise to HandBrakeBond for your excellent guidance with the Libdvdcss addon and the solution url. I followed your suggestion and it fixed HandBrake. Thank you for your expertise and shared knowledge. Peace!
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

RipIt has not worked properly for years. Handbrake is unable to process protected discs but you can enable your system to work correctly, which makes Handbrake work as expected, with these instructions:

[Removed by moderator]
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

As I've responded to you elsewhere: One can't even move files to /usr/lib with Apple's SIP.

It would be nice if people would stop recommending libdvdcss and linking to outdated articles about it. Creates a lot of support issues for us.