HandBrake Speed

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ivanpasic

HandBrake Speed

Post by ivanpasic »

Hello I apologize about this very ignorant question but hopefully someone can offer me an answer I can understand, I am a doctor and have limited knowledge of computers.

I am wondering, and not really complaining but simply wondering why handbrake takes such a long time to convert .mkv movies to Apple TV 4th generation .mp4 movies. I am asking this as I also use software called Smart Converter Pro to do the same job. I have compared them side by side.... For the same movie, Smart Converter Pro can finish the job in 2-3 minutes while Hand Brake takes over 1 hour... The inly difference that I noticed is that the files coming out of Smart Converter Pro are much larger than Handbrake output files.

Will appreciate any answers/advice....
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: HandBrake Speed

Post by rollin_eng »

You have probably answered your own question, you are trading speed for size. We need to see logs from both programs to be sure.

Quality, Speed, Size pick 2.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

HandBrake offers extensive configuration options to suit your preferences. If you want faster encodes, pick faster settings!

Fast, good, small: pick 2.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

There's not much information available about how Smart Converter Pro works, but one clue is this sentence in the apple app store description:
Smart Converter Pro analyses your files and only converts the bits that need to be converted.
It sounds like it analyses the existing tracks in the source file, and if they are compatible with the selected output device settings, it just copies the track instead of re-encoding. This is what is known as remuxing and is much much faster than re-encoding. HandBrake always re-encodes video. It has options for simply remuxing audio, but it will always re-encode video.
backfolder

Post by backfolder »

For me is slow than previous version. Trying to encode the same file with same params (Two Pass and Turbo First Pass checked), the first pass take 10 mins less in v. 0.10.0 than in v. 1.0.2.
I will check more in deep with global times, (not only Turbo First Pass).
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

backfolder wrote:For me is slow than previous version. Trying to encode the same file with same params (Two Pass and Turbo First Pass checked), the first pass take 10 mins less in v. 0.10.0 than in v. 1.0.2.
I will check more in deep with global times, (not only Turbo First Pass).
Could you please post both logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
backfolder

Post by backfolder »

Hi rolling_eng,

Maybe is my perception and I'm wrong, but ETA values are smaller in my previous version.
Here you have the logs:

handbrake-log-0.10.5 --> http://pastebin.com/Jv2JxvrF

handbrake-log-1.0.2 --> http://pastebin.com/3j1YqrNg

Thanks rolling.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

There is a difference there. It's down to the fact that your running the decomb filter on one, but not the other. So different settings between encodes.
backfolder

Post by backfolder »

Thanks s55!

I'm gonna check again without that setting on (it's as default, same as framerate to 30!).
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The defaults between 0.10.5 and 1.0 are very different. By design, we choose slower settings for the new default preset as it trades of speed for better compression / quality.

Speed, Quality, Filesize. Pick 2. That's the general rule that applies to most if not all encoders.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You probably want to make a couple of new presets, after choosing the "stock" one that comes closest to what you want. If your source is Bluray, there are only a few publishers out there that create disks that need deinterlace/decomb, or detelecine, so they can all be shut off for BD. DVD, on the other hand...
backfolder

Post by backfolder »

Ok, I will do.

Thanks s55 and Woodstock for the tips ; )
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

@ivanpasic This is normal, in a way you are comparing Apples vs Oranges. Handbrake is masterful at trading off file size, image quality and processing speed. That is what those comments at the end of some posts are referring to). You can choose two of those three options but not all three. Install the latest version of Handbrake then chose the appropriate "Very Fast" preset that you desire. It will process the video as fast as possible and gove you the smallest file size but its image quality with be softer than the slower (high quality) options. To be honest, I found in my testing that most people cannot tell the difference and that Very Fast works just fine for them. Once yo do that, look at the file size and you'll that its smaller than Smart Converter Pro's output. Since video takes up huge amount of storage space, Handbrake is very popular to enable you control over quality vs space used.