Problem encoding.

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
woodchip2bert

Problem encoding.

Post by woodchip2bert »

http://pastebin.com/Attd7uzU

Not sure if I have done this correct but let me know if not please.

First time encoding a dvd for my own use to have on my mac but leaving all the HB parameters as is. Number 1 pass goes without problem but not to far into number 2 pass, HB crashes and wants to start again but tried it several times to no avail. I am using Mac OS sierra (latest) and safari . Hope someone can make sense of the log.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Problem encoding.

Post by Woodstock »

libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdnav: Unable to open device file /dev/disk4.
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00f50000. Regions: 2 4
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
You need to decrypt the DVD before you can encode the video from it. Tools like MakeMKV are designed to do that; they remove the encryption, and give you files that can be worked on by handbrake.
woodchip2bert

Post by woodchip2bert »

OK thanks for that, I'll see if I can follow
woodchip2bert

Post by woodchip2bert »

Had a look at MakeMKV and as usual and in the end they want £50 for the software and that is much to much to encode one dvd which I thought HB was supposed to do so I shall give up on the project
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Makemkv is free for 30 days.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Actually, MakeMKV is "free while in beta", but you have the inconvenience of having to enter a new beta key from time to time. There is a message about that in their announcements section of the support forum. Even those of us who have paid the money for a permanent key are not pushing the author to end the "beta test", 'cuz it means he keeps adding features.

But MakeMKV is not the only tool. There are at least a half dozen free alternatives out there that will decrypt a disk for you, whether you run Linux, Windows, Mac, or whatever, on DVDs. Google will find them for you. I keep one around for the occasional DVD that MakeMKV can't handle... It hasn't been used in years. And there are other commercial programs. There are a lot fewer alternatives for Bluray.

The commercial programs have the advantage that the authors have incentive to keep up with the copy protection wars. Handbrake elected not to try, because it would take too much time away from improving what it is intended to do.
woodchip2bert

Post by woodchip2bert »

Well that was a waste of 2 days searching, downloaded MakeMKV beta with the code and it seemed to work as I ran my disc through, then ran through handbrake and crashed out after half way as usual. Looked to Google for other software and virtually all wanted money in the end even though they say it is free, con men. So now at last have given up.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Did you open the copy of the dvd MakeMKV made or directly from the dvd again? Can you post the crash log too?
woodchip2bert

Post by woodchip2bert »

Firstly I must seem ungrateful to you guys in my post but that is not the case and us newbies would be in a right mess if there weren't peeps like you around but I get a bit frustrated when things don't work the way I think they should, so thanks all you guys for your time and patience .
I just ran my disc through HB again to make sure I got the correct log.....http://pastebin.com/34FsGZPP
Sequence of events since last. I downloaded the beta version of Makemkv and found the reg. key and activated or it seemed to, then ran the dvd in question through and it confirmed finished, so I then ran it through HB which is what I thought I was told . It ran the first pass ok as usual and then just into the second pass it crashed again. I know I must be doing something wrong but my head is aggled.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Makemkv will copy the dvd to your hard disk, then you can remove the dvd from the computer, and open the files, that Makemkv copied, in Handbrake.
woodchip2bert

Post by woodchip2bert »

I know that makes sense to you Ritsuka but could you walk me through it like a dummy. Where should I look on my hard drive for the copy ?
woodchip2bert

Post by woodchip2bert »

MakeMKV v1.10.4 darwin(x86-release) started
Optical drive "BD-RE [Censored] BD-MLT UJ260 1.00d" opened in OS access mode.
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE [Censored] BD-MLT UJ260 1.00' at offset '1048576'
Using direct disc access mode
Title #1 was added (8 cell(s), 0:30:17)
Title #2 was added (8 cell(s), 0:28:12)
Title #3 was added (8 cell(s), 0:33:16)
Title #4 was added (8 cell(s), 0:28:45)
Title #5 was added (8 cell(s), 0:28:34)
Title #6 was added (8 cell(s), 0:31:12)
Title #7 has length of 43 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8 has length of 25 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #9 has length of 24 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed
This is the log from Makemkv.........does it seem ok ?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Wherever you chose to save it in MakeMKV.

It looks like all you've done in MakeMKV is scanned it. Refer to MakeMKV's online help.
woodchip2bert

Post by woodchip2bert »

That's it all done at last, can't thank you guys enough really grateful
JapaNole

Post by JapaNole »

I, too, would like to thank everyone's contribution. There may be one user asking, but many others of us share in the problem. It's really appreciated.

http://pastebin.com/zQdEgWqu

Following the above advice worked for me as well, but I wasn't able to render in subtitles. They appear well enough when running the original MKV file, but not after encoding in HB. Any suggestions?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

You set it to copy only the forced subtitles. If there is not force subtitle in the track nothing will be copied.
JapaNole

Post by JapaNole »

Thank you for this. I tried three encodes. The first with both boxes checked (what I did the first time), then one with Forced Only only then Burned In only. Strangely, it was the Burned In only one that worked. But problem solved! Thanks again.
woodchip2bert

Post by woodchip2bert »

Woodstock as you are the original solver of my problem and it has indeed worked but I have one other slight request and I know you are an avant user of MKV , when playing my disc I remember it had a dolby sound option which now only plays in stereo (Quite adequate really but I'm nit picking ) and I wondered if you knew of a way I could include this option when I am ripping during MKV,
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

When you get into audio encodings (codecs), things get "interesting", especially with trademark names. I certainly don't have all the answers on those... I know that if there is an AC3 track in the source, I want to make sure at least one of the output tracks is "AC3 Pass through". And any other tracks that handbrake will do "pass through" on get selected. That gives me "everything" the original had. And I pick one track to have handbrake encode with AAC, for "compatibility" with players that cannot handle AC3.

When converting from one codec to another (not passing through), handbrake does know about Dolby, and will default to using it if the source track has what it needs to do it.

With MakeMKV, the default rip does not necessarily bring in all audio tracks, but it normally pulls at least the "most capable" track, so a Dolby track on the original disk will probably be selected over a non-Dolby track. There is information on their forum on how to make it pull ALL audio tracks, so they're all available for handbrake to chose from.
woodchip2bert

Post by woodchip2bert »

Thanks again Woodstock not sure I understand all that but I shall have a look on the website but are you saying MKV will have the option or will it be HB ?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Ritsuka wrote:Makemkv will copy the dvd to your hard disk, then you can remove the dvd from the computer, and open the files, that Makemkv copied, in Handbrake.
MakeMKV does not copy DVDs, but creates the MKV files from what it finds on the disc. MakeMKV only copies Blurays, or makes the files.

SC